Julie's Reviews > Little Blog on the Prairie

Little Blog on the Prairie by Cathleen Davitt Bell

1119121
Feb 23, 11

Read in February, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I am just jealous I didn't think to write this book myself, having at various times in my life been really into all the sources Bell cited as inspiration. So as I read it I was judging it against the book I didn't write.

I thought Bell handled the character of Gen believably and well. I sometimes am wary of books in which a young teenager constantly pops out stunning witticisms. Gen often just didn't know what to say. I liked that. All the kid characters spoke in very realistic dialogue, meaning Bell has a good ear. I'm around 1000 teenagers every day, and I couldn't have done that.

There are a couple of plot holes, though. Like somebody else said, how could Gen get a signal for her cell phone texts when the adults had to have a satellite phone to call 911?

Also, wouldn't these people who signed on to experience life in 1890 have some kind of camping or survival or traditional craft experiences on their resumes? Is it just me, or is everyone else in America really that pathetically dependent on electricity and the internet? Wouldn't they have done some research on how to make bread or milk a cow before they spent a whole summer doing that? All these characters were incredibly unprepared for something they apparently paid good money to do.

Anyway, the book was great fun. It tickled my Laura Ingalls Wilder soft spot and gave me something to think about.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Blog on the Prairie.