Selene's Reviews > The High Lord

Feb 23, 11

Read in February, 2011

** spoiler alert **
*MAJOR SPOILERS!!*

I'm writing this review without reading the ones below. I just finished reading the book, so you might realize I'm still affected by a lot of what just happened. It took a day to read each book, and every day I was more and more interested on the fates of Sonea, Rothen, Dannyl, Cery, and eventually, even perhaps more than the rest, Akkarin.

Because of that, let me just inhale and exhale and perhaps say Holy Shit. Excuse my language, but really. That is how I feel, bewildered, excited, sad, amazed... all at the same time. However, perhaps the most prevalent emotion is regret at having finished the book. Not even when I read the Count of Monte Cristo (which made me cry) did I feel so sad at "closing" the book and at accepting the fate of the characters.

This last book was more exhilarating than the previous books where, although not as satisfying as the second one. The climax battle had me saying "YEAH! YEAH!" as Sonea, the Thieves, the Guild, and Akkarin faced their foes with more than just raw magic. Their trickery made me giddy, but as it neared the last confrontation, I felt certain that Akkarin would not survive. "Trudi," I said to my Kindle, "don't kill Akkarin or Sonea. I know you will, but don't do it." Alas, it seems my prayers were not answered, the ink apparently already dry on the pages of fate and Akkarin died. It is always strange to admit it, but I felt affected by the death of this magician that just a bunch of pages ago seemed so forbodding and evil.

That was the major strength in the book: I cared. I cared about Akkarin and Sonea, Rothen, Dannyl, Tayend, Dorrien, Cery, Takkan, and even Loreln. One of the things I respect most about an author is making me genuinely care for the characters, as I can imagine that is one of the most difficult things to do. You must write characters that have their own voice, that have flaws but don't make you dislike them, and that make you want to be there for them. By the end, I was even liking Regin!

After the characters, the books have excelled on their setting. I found the Theif assosiation incredibly interesting, and the hirarchy of the Guild and the slums really made the whole world a real place. The magic and the magicians surprised me with their courage, even if before they had disgusted me with their short-sightedness and bigotry. The people on the slums had me cheering for them, as they faced the battle like a game. They risked their lives, but they did it out of defiance, and even managed to take one of the magicians down. I almost wish to see more on the Underworld, and the powerstruggles that will most likely follow after the town is rid of the Purges. Maybe Ms. Canavan can make another novel just on that...

I'm really glad I kept reading past the lack-luster impresion I got from the first book, because this experience has been most fulfilling and interesting. I cannot wait to read more books by Trudi Canavan, because I'm sure that I'll meet sympathetic characters and interesting settings that will enthrall me beyond the scope of the plot, and that will probably make me sad to abandon again. But like they say, it is better to have loved and lost... Like Sonea, I know I don't regret loving this series and its characters, even if their departure has saddened me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The High Lord.

message 1: by H (new) - rated it 5 stars

H I completely agree with every word of your review. This was truly an amazing trilogy, despite the first book being relatively slow. This book made up for every shortcoming that anyone could come up with in the first two books.