Coquille Fleur's Reviews > Dragonhaven

Feb 23, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, ya
Read from February 23 to March 30, 2011

Ugh, I feel bad even writing this as I am usually a 3-5 star kind of a girl, and the idea behind this book is creative and good, but the voice was soooooo annoying. I know it was supposed to sound like a teenage boy, but dude, no teenage boy would write like that, not even one that had lived in a national park devoted to harboring dragons his whole life. The author (and I am not even sure Robin McKinley really wrote this) broke every rule I have ever learned about writing. Well, maybe not every rule, but a lot of them. The MC talks to the reader the whole time, which is a total no-no these days. If this had been McKinley's first book and she sent this out to Agents, it would so be in the slush pile just for that. Also, there is way too much telling and not enough showing. In fact, this plot could have been nicely executed in a short novella, but instead we are forced to listen to this annoying kid tell us his every thought in this totally irritating voice, and then at the end of the, like, 75 page epilogue (WTF?) he sets us up for a sequel which I will not be reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonhaven.