Christine's Reviews > Brokeback Mountain

Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx

Feb 23, 2011

I own a copy

Gender advocacy has been a part of my system since I got inducted into the world of GABRIELA. We were partners with a group called Pro-Gay/LesboND so I was also pretty much exposed to homosexual stories of all types.

When the movie Brokeback Mountain came out, pun intended, I heard too many times the comments Yuck and Eeew regarding the love scenes, especially that first encounter between Jack and Ennis. Maybe people still weren't used to homosexual or gay intimate scenes in mainstream movies, since here in the Philippines, gayness is more associated with humor than with sex.

I didn't watch the movie, not because the feedback from my friends were offputting. I just wasn't able to watch. I did, however, find a copy of E. Annie Proulx's short story on which the movie was based.

Brokeback Mountain is not a story about homosexuality. It's a story about two people who find themselves in an ordinary circumstance, with extraordinary consequences. It's a story about how people bond and become intimate, how relationships can last over years of silence, simply because feelings are that powerful.

It's not about two men having sex. It's about two people developing a lifelong devotion and bond.

This book actually made me a fan of E. Annie Proulx because she had a way of creating beautiful narratives out of ordinary people and the raw emotions that plague and/or bless them. In fact, I bought her novel The Shipping News and short story collection Heart Songs and Other Stories right after I read Brokeback.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brokeback Mountain.