Haley ~ YA-Aholic's Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Feb 05, 15

Read in February, 2011

"I want to take her into my arms and hold her tight. But at the same time, I know that is the exact opposite of what she wants. She wants to be free, and all I want is to hold her tight against me."
~ Elder

Amy is a normal 17 year old girl she has (had) a boyfriend who she loves, and goes (went) to school, but Amy is going to be frozen for the next 300 years with her parents, and be packed away on Godspeed a very large spaceship. She is supposed to awake with her parents, on a new planet, what she's not supposed to do is be woken up 50 years earlier and almost die because someone broke open her case. Amy is terrified, and well freaking out. She can’t be re-frozen, it’s too risky, now she must find out who is murdering people on the ship, before her parents, or she becomes their next victims.

Across the Universe was much better than I thought it was going to be, the chapters flip back and forth between being in Amy's perspective and being in Elder's perspective. I found myself not being able to put this amazing read down, throughout the whole book you can’t help, but feel like you’re part of the story. I thought Across the Universe was going to be heavily romance based, when really the romance took a far back seat to the crazy amounts of suspense and mystery. Across the Universe had me stumped, I could not for the life of me figure out who was killing people on the ship, and I never knew what was going to happen next. Godspeed is a ship built on secrets and lies, which made for a never boring moment in Across the Universe.

Amy and Elder are both great characters, and I loved seeing from both their perspectives! Amy is strong willed and knows what she wants and isn’t afraid to speak her mind, even if it means what she is saying could risk her life. Then there is Elder, he is mesmerized by how different Amy is from everyone, and can’t seem to stop thinking about her. Eldest tells Elder she is trouble, that she’s a ‘freak’, but that doesn’t change Elder’s mind, to him she is perfect.

Overall this was an outstanding YA, Sci-fi thriller with a touch of romance, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes sci-fi, or YA novels! Beth Revis wrote a novel that will capture its readers and completely blow their minds with all the secrets and lies hidden on Godspeed! Across the Universe is a novel that has a lot of praise and is highly recommended, after finishing it I can easily understand why it is a favorite to so many people!
3 likes · Likeflag

Quotes Haley ~ YA-Aholic Liked

Beth Revis
“More than the sound of my own beating heart, I miss the sound of a ticking clock. Time passes. It must pass....”

Beth Revis
“(D)reams are like that: they go in and out of memories and scenes, but they're never real. They're never real, and I hate them because they aren't.”

Beth Revis
“That's all you need to know about Godspeed," he says. "Although you should also know this. I am Eldest."
Good for you, I think. Congrats on being old.

Beth Revis
“This ship is built on secrets; it runs on secrets", he says, tiny droplets of spittle flying from his mouth to my face. "And if you keep asking about them, you'll see how far I'm willing to go to keep mine." ~ Eldest”

Beth Revis
“Sorry? Sorry? Sorry isn't enough. Every. Single. Thing. I ever loved is beyond my reach now. Everything I ever wanted. Everything I ever was.”

Beth Revis
“I'm going to find a way to fix you"
"I'm not broken", Amy says in a voice as empty as her eyes.
I lead her down the hall, deposit her in her chamber, and tell her not lo leave. I have no doubt she will follow my order.”