Traci's Reviews > The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites
Read on March 03, 2012

After the death of his renegade daughter the king to the kingdoms calls for his half barbarian granddaughter to come home for a ritual that will decide the next succession. It's a world of backstabbing and elitism. A world where gods are kept as slaves, playthings, and weapons.

I give four stars for unique and original story. I don't feel as though the ideas here were put to their full potential. But as a first book I remain impressed and the author is definitely one I'm keeping an eye on.

Recommended to readers who don't mind or who actually enjoy a little chick lit to their fantasy. Anyone who wants a light dose of political intrigue in their fantasy (don't expect GRRM caliber). Highly recommended to anyone who likes a little godhood in their books. And any romantics. Recommended to fans of Poison Study, Warbreaker, maybe The Immortal Prince, and I'll add Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series even though it's not in the strictest sense paranormal romance.

And for anyone wondering if they should continue with the series in my opinion The Broken Kingdoms is the best of the three.
7 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

Shellbelle Thanks for the Recommendation! Looks brilliant!

message 2: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina This is one I keep meaning to get to - -glad to see it is a favorite of yours.

Lord Nouda Cool, I'll add this to my kindle later :)

message 4: by Regina (new) - added it