Alisha's Reviews > The Restorer

The Restorer by Amanda Stevens

Jul 16, 11

bookshelves: ac-g, favorites
Recommended for: Urban Fantasy fans who like a good ghost story
Read from May 08 to 09, 2011

Rating: 4.5 (After some more thought: A five, really.)
Quick Take: Loved it. Loved. It. Steven's writing style is so easy to get into. To say that I look forward to more of this series is a serious understatement. Highly recommended to all of my ghost-story-friendly urban fantasy peeps. It might give you a fright, but it's well worth the thrill.

Review:
Freaking A, man. What an awesome book this is!
I must confess that, as a scaredy cat and ghost-story wimp, I was hesitant at first to read Amanda Stevens's trilogy opener. The book description sounded very intriguing, but it was obviously meant to give the potential reader a taste of the eerie setting and chilling theme of the full novel. Boy, am I glad I got past that hesitancy. I was thoroughly creeped out whilst reading this tale, but more importantly, I was exhilarated.

So let's start with that emotion. Yes, this book is creepy; the author is quite skilled at creating atmosphere. Stevens's writing style is resonant, engaging, and very easy to fall into. The language is crisp and easily accessible--not simplistic--and yet descriptions are vivid, crafting a clear visual and understanding of both the characters and the settings. I'd imagine that's precisely what one would want when attempting to scare the pants off of someone. ^_^

It's perhaps good that the mechanics of the language used does not confound, because this is indeed a dense book. There are numerous details that are integral to the storyline, and the main mystery is quite multilayered. In fact, there are elements in play that suggest the author is focused on the bigger, series-wide picture at all times. In that regard, this story's events solve mysteries, but titillate even more. The narrative barely scratches the surface of the main characters' struggles and inner scars. Protagonist Amelia Gray is one complex individual; amiable as far as protagonists go, but clearly haunted (literally and figuratively). That she finds herself drawn to an equally haunted man will provide a lot of arresting emotional material in upcoming installments.

If you can manage a highly atmospheric, spooky and complex book that absolutely must be read as part of a series arc, you need to pick up The Restorer. This will be a standout series, just you wait n see! ^_^
17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Restorer.

05/08/2011
12.0% "Liking so far. You can almost feel the somber sort of weight on the shoulders of the protagonist." 4 comments
05/08/2011
47.0% "Eep! Creepy creepy creepy!" 4 comments
05/09/2011
100.0% "Now THAT's what I call some good gothic suspense!!!"

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Great review! I have this sitting on my to-read pile awaiting the start of a new book challenge. I've been dying to start reading it. I love her writing style. Did you read the prequel?

Greta is Erikasbuddy Great review!! It sounds awesome!

Alisha Thanks!! AH, I've not yet read the prequel...silly of me, I know. ^_^

Greta, I think you'll really like this one. Nay--I KNOW you will. lol

Greta is Erikasbuddy NICE!

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH The prequel might still be free on Harlequin. It's pretty good. I like how she writes. Kind of eerie, spooky.

Alisha Y'know, I snapped up the prequel as soon as it was released...I've just been a silly head by not having read it. Basically, I have no excuse. :o)

This is one of those books for which I would enjoy hearing about others' experiences as they read through it. So, do you have plans to read it soon? ^___^

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Pretty soon - I'm just waiting for bookshelf bingo to start so I can include it. I hope it fits one of the categories.

Alisha Bookshelf Bingo! That sounds like fun. Is that done through a GR group?

message 9: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH It's done through SOS - Serious overload of Series group. Last month we played category connect 4. The games are a lot of fun but this one filled up fast. There are waitlist spots if someone bails, if you're interested.