Elli's Reviews > The Tin Ticket: The Heroic Journey of Australia's Convict Women

The Tin Ticket by Deborah J. Swiss

4199685
Feb 28, 14

bookshelves: australia, abuse, biographical, women-s-issues, women, crime
Read from May 11 to 20, 2011

Dealing with forced transportation under primitive and ugly conditions to fulfill a prison sentence. Convicts sent from the British Isles to what was Dieman's Land, later became Tasmania. The author follows some of the cases (men as well)and along with getting to know descendants, and has thoroughly researched her topic and her subjects. The book is very readable, and one easily gets to know the characters and find them familiar. The situations are well described, too, and bring to light a number of issues, attitudes at the time, priorities. How they were implemented, and how people reacted at that time. As well as becoming much more familiar with Australia's history, geography, gold rushes, and the settling and the building of the continent. Slavery, intolerance, sort of an accepted caste system and economic interests can take alot of different forms. I think I may understand the history my own better for reading this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tin Ticket.