Shelly's Reviews > Heaven, Texas

Sep 07, 14

bookshelves: audiobook-version, romance-contemporary
Read in February, 2011

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven, Texas.

Quotes Shelly Liked

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Gracie: You have an unusual house. Have you lived here long?
Bobby Tom: A couple of years. I don't much like it myself, but the architect is real proud of it. She calls it urban Stone Age with a Japanese Tahitian influence. I sort of just call it ugly.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“His mother?" Gracie couldn't believe it. Suzy Denton looked much too young to be his mother. And much too respectable. "But you're not a-" She cut herself off in mid-sentence as she realized what she'd almost let slip.

Suzy's wedding ring clicked against the steering wheel as she gave it a hard smack. "I'm going to kill him! He's been telling that hooker story again, hasn't he?”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“I happen to be immature, undisciplined, and self-centered, pretty much a little boy in a man's body, although I'd appreciate it if you didn't quote me on that.

-Bobby Tom”
tags: humor, men

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Throughout the course of the day, Bobby Tom's irritation over his artificially oiled and dirt-smeared chest and his unzipped jeans had flared into righteous indignation. They were treating him like a sex object! It was damned demeaning, that's what it was, being reduced to a set of oil pecs and a tight ass. Shit. A dozen years in the NFL, and this was what it had all come down to. Pecs and ass.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“[Bobby Tom] finally understood Gracie's function in his life. She was God's joke on him.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“All right," she said in a low, determined voice. 'I'll go along with this. But you are not, under any circumstances, to refer to me again as 'the future Mrs. Bobby Tom,' do you understand? Because if you say that just once, just once, I will personally tell the entire world that our engagement is a fraud. Furthermore, I will announce that you are-are-" Her mouth opened and closed, She's stared out strong, but now she couldn't think of anything terrible enough to throw at him.
An ax murderer?" he offered helpfully.
When she didn't reply, he tried again. " A vegetarian?"
It came to her in a flash. "Impotent!”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Bobby Tom: You're supposed to be my assistant, not a baby-sitter!
Gracie: One and the same.”
tags: humor

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“You couldn't be satisfied with being an amateur asshole, could you, Jimbo! You had to go and turn pro on me!”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“He settled his hat back into position. She was a rookie in her first big game, and he’d never let her see how close she’d come to unseating a champion”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Once again Bobby Tom glanced at her over the top of Cheryl Lynn’s fluffy blond curls. “How was the spaghetti you ordered?”
“It was excellent.”
“I’m not much for the green stuff they poured over it.”
“Are you referring to the pesto?”
“Whatever. I like a nice meat sauce.”
“Of course you do. With a double rack of greasy ribs on the side, I’ll bet.”
“You’re making my mouth water just thinking about it.”
Cheryl Lynn lifted her head from his shoulder. “You’re doin’ it again, B.T.”
“Doing what, sweetheart?”
“Talkin’ to her.”
“Oh, I don’t think so darlin’. Not when I got you on my mind.”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Just out of curiosity, sweetheart; did you ever talk to your doctor about givin' you some tranquilizers?”

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
“Anything worth having is worth fighting for.”