Brad's Reviews > Kiss and Tell: A Romantic Résumé, Ages 0 to 22

Kiss and Tell by MariNaomi

Apr 10, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, comic-books, graphic-novel, memoir, sexuality, goodreads-author
Recommended for: Amber, Marci
Read from April 09 to 10, 2011

I'm in the midst of a rich vein of luck when it comes to books lately. Everything has been a joy to read -- even the hopeless and depressing books I’ve been reading -- and late last night, with the kids all in bed and Erika on nights at the hospital, I started to read one of my rare “first reads” wins in earnest, only to stay up until Kiss and Tell was finished, which took me into the wee wee hours before sunrise.

Raw, courageous, honest, funny, tormented and true, MariNaomi’s graphic memoir is pure joy.

MariNaomi is a woman who lives in the life she’s got. She wears her life like tattered old jeans, lovingly repairing the holes with multi-coloured patches that offer a Levi Strauss tapestry of experience, making the jeans far more valuable than any crisp, unworn pair could ever be.

I have a confession: I am in love with MariNaomi. I wish I’d had a chance to know her when we were teenagers, but we were separated by 1,618 km. I wish I’d had the chance to snort coke with her, or make love to her, or hold her head while she puked up too much alcohol, or experiment with open relationships with, or bring her flowers, or write her poetry, or have her write poetry to me, or kiss her anywhere or anywhen she wanted. Kiss and Tell made me want to be part of her life and experience so badly that I nearly cried when it was over. And I wanted more. I still want more. I want MariNaomi to give me another glimpse, a glimpse of her years from 23-37. Please, please, please, MariNaomi. I’ll make you a mix tape. I promise.

I have another wish, impossible like all my other wishes, but I wish that I’d had this graphic novel as a teenage boy. It would have shed so much light for me on the world of the girls I loved and lusted after. I think, somehow, that Kiss and Tell would have taken the sting out of breakups and unrequited love and all the painful trials and errors; it could have made me a Zen teenager, enjoying without regret or bitterness or self-loathing my time brushing up against the girls of my life, and it would have made it so much easier to brush up against the boys I kept away too.

I wish all first reads books could be like this. Wherever you are, MariNaomi, thank you for your life, your words, your perfect art. Thank you for sharing yourself with such fearlessness.

When Miloš turns 13 (maybe before. Time will tell) this book is his. I am sure Brontë will have raided my shelves long, long before that, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss and Tell.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber Tucker Your reviews are always so shockingly beautiful. Yes, I think I do need to read this.

message 2: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Another perfect review that belongs on my Hall of Fame (if I had one).

Brad Thanks, Amber and Nancy.

MariNaomi Hi, Brad! Thank you for this awesome review. It made me blush! You should enter it into my contest. I'm giving away zines and/or artwork. Here is a link for how to enter: http://marinaomi.com/contest1.html xoxox~ MariNaomi