Nori's Reviews > The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

Mar 30, 11

Read from March 01 to 29, 2011

Loved this one. It goes on the shelf with Middlesex (Eugenides) and The Children's Book (Byatt) of great, wide-ranging, character-developing, well-written, nicely-tied-together historical fiction. A solid 635 pages, which is always wonderful in such a good read -- you don't want to put it down, and don't have to for many days (I managed to stretch this to last a month).

One of the things I really loved about this one is the way all the imagery is cohesive, and even well-explained without the reader being beaten over head with it. The Golem imagery throughout, coming back at the end; the thread of the Escapist, both as character and trope for the lives of the protagonist; the question of fathers: all of these are discussed as a part of the narration, and I think the book is richer for it. Too often, a book like this can leave these threads dangling, leave the obvious questions as term-papers-to-be -- and I suppose that's valid, and a reader can feel clever for connecting the dots themselves -- but it's just lovely to have what's already a fantastic book made all the more worthwhile by a display of the author's own conscious understanding of his own images. Hell yes.

Now I'm going to go read everything else Chabon has ever done (even though people tell me this one's the best).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.

03/06/2011 page 155

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lulu Love this book. Hope you love it more than you did Norwegian Wood (which I also loved :/)

Nori Eh, I realize I'm an outlier on Murakami -- that's why I tried him twice. I usually adhere more closely to my friends' literary preferences. I'll be sure to let you know! :)

Nori So far, only 150 pages in, and I can confidently report that there's absolutely no danger of me hating this one. LOVING it!

Megan Good to hear! And it just gets better as you go.