Jessica's Reviews > Psych Major Syndrome

Psych Major Syndrome by Alicia Thompson

May 01, 11

bookshelves: 0-faves, 05-literary-crush-worthy, 07-freakin-hilarious, 27-contemporary-ya, 34-contemporary-new-adult, 33-college-romance
Recommended to Jessica by: Nic & Nomes
Recommended for: Fans of good chick lit
Read on May 01, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Rating clarification: 4.5 stars

Alright, this was so not the plan. Actually, I am reading Redeeming Love right now, or well, at least I’m supposed to be reading it right now, which I’m obviously not, but when my dear friend Mr. Postman delivered my copy of Psych Major Syndrome yesterday, I just couldn’t help myself.
See, my friends Nic and Nomes had made me so curious about this that after a few hours of constantly sneaking glances at the book, I finally caved in and abandoned Redeeming Love (which I am really enjoying btw) for Psych Major Syndrome. After the first few pages I could already tell that this was something I was going to love, because there were so many things about our protagonist Leigh which I could totally relate to. While reading I kept thinking "Hey, I’m exactly like that, too!" which tells those of you who have already read the book that I am a little neurotic. I, too, get overly emotional over songs and movies, I have a thing about getting my head under water, I don’t like going to the beach much because I hate how the sand sticks to my feet when they’re wet, I often get hung up on small and unimportant details while completely ignoring the bigger picture, I tend to overthink everything and while I love making lists and am kind of a neat freak I’m always late whenever I have to turn in some kind of assignment because I’m working best under extreme pressure. Like, oh shit I have to turn in this paper tomorrow morning and I haven’t even started kind of pressure. Anyways, back to the topic at hand. This was so much fun! The writing was brilliant and witty and I just couldn’t help but getting sucked into the story. Leigh is weird, insecure, neurotic, sarcastic, witty and even while I wanted to strangle her several times because she was being so incredibly stupid; overall, she was utterly loveable.

I also thought the secondary characters were very well done. While I loved Ami and Rebekah; Jerkface really made my blood boil. I cannot begin to tell you what terrible things I had in mind for him. Let’s just say they involved scissors. Sharp and shiny scissors...Gah, what an a-hole.

Alright, enough with the cussing! Let’s swooooooon! Oh, Nathan *dreamy sigh* Now this is what I call a really great guy - and I’m talking Wes from The Truth About Forever great. I can tell you the exact page number when I fell in love with him. 213. Yes, it takes that long before the actual romance between those two is starting to happen and that’s also my only complaint. Things could have started to happen a little earlier for my taste because before that, Nathan only made some brief appearances and I was getting a little frustrated by that. And ok, there’s also the predictability of the story that bothered me a little. I had the whole thing figured out after the first 100 pages or so (view spoiler) and the story pretty much played out as I expected. Still, it was fun. Definitely recommended!

Alright, back to Redeeming Love. *sheepish grin*
17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Psych Major Syndrome.

Isamlq want! great review, btw. :)

Janina I want this, too!!! But I've already ordered/swapped too many books lately ;).

Jessica Thanks Isamlq!

Janina, I think you might like this! You should get it sometime soon :)

Janina I definitely will. In June, maybe ;).

Flannery Have!(but haven't read yet):) I liked learning more about this book AND learning more about YOU in this review, Jess:)

Jessica Tehe ;) I wrote this review at 1 in the morning, right after I had finished the book so that's why it's a little...weird. ^^

message 7: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ I repeat. I need to get this book already! @.@

Awesome review hun!

Jessica Thanks Tina :D

message 9: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic YAY you loved it!!! Love Leigh and Nathan. And I hold jerkface so you can attack him with the scissors :)

Nomes om my gosh

i am totally like leigh as well

(even the loving public speaking scene ~ and absolutely the way she was getting angsty in @ the hairdressers but had to please the hair dresser anyways ~ totally me)

and i just looked up that page reference :D I agree I could do with more Nathan...

perfect review!

Jessica Nomes wrote: "..(even the loving public speaking scene ~ and absolutely the way she was getting angsty in @ the hairdressers but had to please the hair dresser anyways ..."

LOL, I'm like that, too XD

Thanks, Nomes :)

Perfect, Nic! I’ll go get my scissors so we can get started ;)

message 12: by Aimee (new) - added it

Aimee Tate I'm friends with the author and she would be happy to know that you guys are enjoying it so much.

Nomes Oooh :0

tell her I LOVED it and have read it three times this year :)

and I cant find her website/page but am so sincerely hoping she's writing another book :)

message 14: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic What Nomes said. I adore the book too!

Do you know if the author is writing another book????