Lynne's Reviews > The Last Time I Saw You

The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg

Feb 23, 2011

liked it

This is actually a review of Berg's books in general. I'd read a couple some years ago but recently I picked this one up at the library. I then looked for more and have read four to six others. I find her books to be like Godiva chocolates: high quality, addictive, tasty, but I'm not sure how good they are for me. There's something so COZY about them, so much action in kitchens with so much dessert being consumed. Her women complain they've lost their youthful figures and then chomp another brownie!

She's a good writer, full of delicate and precise descriptive passages. Her characters seem to remember scenes from childhoods, happy OR unhappy, in the most poetic terms. Dried dandelions have made several appearances. Her characters are largely female, to an extent that I wonder why Jennifer Weiner, for example, has gotten the chick lit label and Berg has not. Having read a bunch of novels, I now tend to assume that when a 'sensitive male' comes along, the heroine is going to end up with him. Things are just a LITTLE TOO PAT. Yet I can't deny the appeal--I just keep reading 'em!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Time I Saw You.