Mandy Moody's Reviews > Miss Scarlet's School of Patternless Sewing

Miss Scarlet's School of Patternless Sewing by Kathy Cano-Murillo

Apr 06, 2011

bookshelves: chick-lit, general-fiction, i-own
Read in April, 2011

Put in a purchase request at the Library.
The premise of this reminds me of The School of Essential Ingredients, which I LOVED. So I put in a purchase request at my library. However, I was lucky enough to win a copy from a Goodreads giveaway before
the library copy came in.

I read all but about 30 pages of this in one night - the story was so much fun that I just couldn't put it down until it literally fell out of my hands.
Scarlett Santana is 30 years old and chasing her fashion designer dreams. She writes a popular blog (dedicated to her designing idol, Daisy de la Flora) and works for a local designer, Carly Fontaine. She sells many of her own creations on Etsy and is fairly successful - but she wants more.
When she's accepted into the Johnny Scissors design school she believes it's exactly what she needs to launch her career. The only problem is the tuition - a massive amount of money that Scarlett doesn't have.
To raise the money she decides to teach a class - Miss Scarlet's School of Patternless Sewing - and this is where we meet the rest of our characters.
Mary Theresa is a working mother of twins in an unhappy marriage. Olivia is a strong, single mother who's regained her confidence after being burned by her ex-husband. Rosa is an ailing ederly woman with a lifetime of knowledge and wisdom to share. Marco runs the record shop where Scarlet's class is held.

I loved the way their stories weaved together. Although the ending was NOT a surprise, (I don't believe it was even supposed to be) I really enjoyed the journey to get there.

Why it wasn't a 5 star (spoiler alert!)
*The supernatural twist of Daisy's spirit haunting Rosa and Joseph. I'm a fan of the supernatural - but it didn't really seem to FIT in this novel.
*The lack of resolution to Scarlet and Marco's relationship - um, did I miss something? He just left? Without a plan? Without any promises? Just "think of it as a vacation spot"???
*Scarlet's lack of self promotion - just didn't ring true to me that she'd never considered her own creations worthy of being her flagship designs. I don't know anyone that works that hard on their own ideas and DOESN'T think they are awesome.

A solid 4 star read. Scarlet is a smart, strong Hispanic woman and I really enjoyed her story :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Scarlet's School of Patternless Sewing.