logankstewart's Reviews > Ascension

Ascension by Christie Golden

Jan 23, 12

bookshelves: library, star-wars, 2012-read
Read from January 13 to 23, 2012

Ascension, the penultimate novel in the nine-volume Fate of the Jedi series, is one of the best in the series so far. After the events of the previous books, it feels like groundwork has finally been lain for major plot development. Daala is a fugitive. Luke and Ben are finally returning from their exile. Abeloth is MIA and extremely dangerous. Ben and Vestara are teenagers in love, even if they're on the opposite sides of the Force.

There's no way I can recommend this book as an introduction to the Expanded Universe. There is so much backstory based on previous EU characters and arcs. Still, the Fate of the Jedi keeps me coming back, if only because I'm a Star Wars fan down to my bones.

That said, I look forward to the conclusion of this series, Apocalypse. Ascension ends with enough of a cliffhanger to have me wondering how certain arcs will be resolved. Another thing I enjoyed about this book was the prevalence of Sith culture/worlds. This stuff is usually entertaining to read about, and there was plenty contained within.

Overall, Ascension finally rises above its predecessors, kind of getting out of the pattern those books had (visit world, face evil, repeat. There are plenty of great EU books out there, and if you're a fan like me, you'll keep on gobbling them up as long as they keep coming.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascension.

01/13/2012 page 56