Danielle's Reviews > Aftertime

bookshelves: 2011-read, sci-fi, fantasy, gave-up
Recommended to Danielle by: Scalzi's "Big Idea" promotion
Recommended for: people who liked Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
Read from October 17 to 25, 2011

10/18/11 - So far, not great. The plot is interesting (that is, after all, why I decided to read this), but the writing is bland. The author is trying really REALLY hard to jam as much as possible into as few sentences as possible, and it shows. I have a daughter who is 20 months old. I'm hoping for some sort of connection to kick in for me so I can really relate to this book.

10/25/11 - I think I'm done. I'm 80% in and I just don't give a crap about finishing it. The writing is horrific, and not a good way, considering there are zombies involved.

Everything is overly described, making sentences long and lumbering. And the stuff that isn't overly descriptive is out of place. Infodumps and cut scenes to the past abound.

Example: "It was coming from the direction of a wood-shingled Cape Cod on the right side of the street, where the stick-puzzle forms of dead jasmine shrubs stood sentry in front of a lawn choked with kaysev."

Example: "She was thin and muscular in a hooded jersey and shorts and hiking sandals, and she said very little, her face partially obscured by the hood which she had pulled down over her curly brown hair."

Example: "So when Smoke seized her hand, she ran hard. She flew like a stone rocketed over a great chasm." (What...? How fast is a stone 'rocketed' across a chasm? Why would anyone shoot a rock across a chasm?)

The ENTIRE BOOK is written this way.

Cass goes from thinking constantly about her daughter to never thinking about her - very inconsistent. Rather than genuinely missing her daughter (who has the cringe-worthy name of Ruthie), Cass seems to miss the idea of being a mother. How has she changed? Why is she now deserving of a child? Because she misses her sun-kissed hair and dimpled knees? (And as a mother, I can tell you that I don't ever think of my child's knees as dimpled... of all the things I would miss about her, dimpled knees is so cliched.)

Cass's romance with Smoke is stupid. It's a bad romance novel. Reminded me of Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, which I also hated. Here's an actual quote for you: "She could respect Smoke's desire for privacy. She knew well the need to keep to the shadows. So why did she want so much to know more?" And then she goes on to talk about how her crotch controls her every move. And wouldn't you know it, the big handsome stranger just happens to know that she loves to be choked, and that's what does it for her. Gee, I wish I could find me a big muscled man to throw me into bed and have his way with me. Oh wait, I can, just pick up anything from Harlequin.

Here you go, 'enjoy' the big climax:
"It was a long and spectacular fall and partway down he met her there and it was like they seized each other midair so that when the final crest splintered into blinding sensation, she was aware of him there with her and it was new."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aftertime.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill Purdy Boy, do I love it when you pan a book, Danielle! Keep it up!

(also congrats on 20 months -- has it really been that long?)

bp

Danielle I've read FOUR books this year that I've rated 1-star. That makes me very sad. I obviously need a better mechanism for choosing books. Because "wow, that sounds so cool!" isn't working for me.

I know, hard to believe it's been that long! Just this week she's starting telling me "NO!" and fighting me when I try to put clothes on her. Consequence: she went to daycare in pj's one day. She really loves those Elmo pj's.