Amy's Reviews > Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston

Feb 23, 11

Read in February, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I'll admit it. I read this after watching 127 Hours and reading several reviews that said minor parts of the story had been changed from the original text. Minor was an understatement, but that's a discussion for another time.

Ralston narrates this book with a somewhat self-important, self-righteous air. He arguably has the right to, after all he's been through, but his narcissism just made getting through the novel a grueling task. There were times when I wanted to shout at him to stop being so dull and naive, and while I admire his courage for self-amputating and understand how one's life can flash before one's eyes in the face of death, Ralston's memoir read a little too much like a boastful speech. Even by the end of the novel, when he says that he has learnt to take fewer things for granted and has become more humbled now that he understands the true power of nature, his words remain tinged with a sense of better-than-you snobbery. The story itself is fascinating, as is his life, but I just wish he hadn't told it in such an arrogant way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between a Rock and a Hard Place.