Elaine's Reviews > The Eagles' Brood

The Eagles' Brood by Jack Whyte

Nov 23, 11

Read in March, 2011

The third in the excellent Whyte Camelot series-and once again, he has struck gold. Although the major "players" are there, he focuses more intently on the ordinary members of the community. It's fascinating series examining the social and political foundation of Camelot, and as such is hugely speculative. Yet in some repsects it reads like a factual work. Am limiting myself to an aoocasional "fix" to make the series las as long as possible! So it might be quite some time before I get around to book 4!

Having concluded p3, I was delighted to see that previous form was maintained. Rather a lot of time was devoted to the religious upheaval, and the controversy surrounding Pelagius and his resultant apostasy. At the same time, this gave a good and solid foundation to move the novel onwards and start to direct Merlin towards religion/healing, rather than being mainly a warrior.

Many of the characters only make fleeting appearnaces-like Ygrain, for example. Yet none have quite such a brief cameo as the babe Arthur who appears on the second last page! This sets the scene nicely for book 4, which I'm sure won't disappoint. I'm so glad that Arthur will finally reach centre stage-it's been a long time in coming.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eagles' Brood.