Paula's Reviews > Revolution

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

2047842
Feb 23, 11

Read in February, 2011

Jennifer Donnelly has written an interesting book about the French Revolution. Clearly adept at the historical component of novel writing, she provides an enthralling history lesson as easy as a serving of pie.

The main character, Andi, is the vehicle through which the story is told. While the historical aspect of the novel is quite interesting, unfortunately, Andi is not. There is enough in her to get the reader through the novel but she herself is difficult to relate to--she seems entitled and closed. The minor characters in the book are quite endearing and the reader is left wanting more of them

The story line is solid and is what kept me reading. The French Revolution is a soap opera in itself and the history of Louis the XVII is fascinating up to its real life DNA testing. There is one moment 2/3 in that the novel falls into a "dreamscape" cliche, but because it reveals likable characters it can be forgiven.

Overall, I think young readers who like historical fiction will enjoy this book. However, unless that interest is already there, I do not think other readers will get through the book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revolution.