Heather's Reviews > Sea Glass

Sea Glass by Maria V. Snyder

Feb 23, 11

bookshelves: 2010
Read in May, 2010

the sea glass doesn't appear until quite close to the end, I’d say over two thirds of the way through. That threw me a bit. My suspicion is that it's actually a set up for the third novel (which comes out in September and I now have to wait for, boo) but if that's the case why call this one Sea Glass and not the third novel? Which is called Spy Glass? The titles probably could have worked reversed actually since there's a fair bit of spying in this novel. I guess something like Secret Glass would have thrown of the one syllable S-word title pattern. But whatever! As I suspect is a tradition with Snyder the second book in a trilogy isn't as good as the first, which isn't to say I didn't like it but I don't think it was as tight plot wise as the first book was and the plot was resolved quite quickly towards the end. The only reason that doesn't bother me so much is that it was actually a pretty awesome few chapters towards the end there, some badass images came out of solution. So I can forgive a little that the diabolical scheme was revealed like BAM! Also keeping track of Ulrick/Devlen and their soul switching boggled my mind a bit towards the end haha! I think that was just a case of me reading while half asleep though.

I did like that the novel picked up pretty much where the last one ended, and again the balance between new characters and familiar ones from not only Storm Glass but also the Study series was really well handled. Overall I thought it was competant but that teh opening novel for the trilogy was better, hopefully the next one will be better rather than following my opinion of the Yelena Zaltana trilogy in being the worst of the lot.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea Glass.