Bookaholics's Reviews > Living on the Edge

Feb 23, 2011

Living on the Edgy by Shannon K. Butcher
Romantic Suspense -March 1st, 2011
4 ½ stars

This fast paced thriller starts out explosively, as sexy body guard and Edge mercenary, Sloane Gideon finds herself in trouble!!

Sloane Gideon is on the job, protecting her client when the sexiest man in a tux purposely strides toward them with a gun. She is able to protect her client and disappear but is soon surprised to find the same man stalking her at the airport. And while Sloane finds this stalker undeniable sexy, she is on a dangerous mission to rescue her former school mate in Columbia. But what she doesn’t know is that this mysterious man is a ‘friend’ of her father. His name is Lucas. He has been asked by her father to stop her from flying to Columbia. However, Sloan keeps surprising him by escaping. And Lucas finds himself admiring her even as she knocks him down!

I loved Sloane’s and Lucas’s first meeting. The attraction between them sizzles from the first page and both are at the top of their game. As a result, they are well matched pair and make a deadly duo. However, Lucas is reluctant to hurt Sloane. As a result, she uses this to her advantage when evading him. The interplay between them is thrilling and lively to read. I really liked them both. It was fun to read Sloane keeping Lucas on his toes. I also enjoyed this book because Sloane is a strong confident woman. And while Lucas is a cool, alpha male, he does not totally try to dominate her like many military romance heroes do. The best part about Lucas besides his sexiness is that he seemed more realistic and genuine than most heroes, too. I really felt he respected Sloane. I also enjoyed the quiet moments when the two of them were together which really made me feel like they were a caring couple.

This is an extraordinarily exciting suspense with strong and easy to care for characters. The best romantic suspense I’ve read this year. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed by Steph from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living on the Edge.