Jahn Sood's Reviews > Nausea

Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre

Jun 09, 2007

Recommended for: someone who is more emotional stable than me.
Read in November, 2006

I put a longer review of this book / a journal entry that I wrote while I was reading it in "my writing" since it was too long for this page.

Nausea is not a good thing to have as the only thing that belongs to you, and even worse as the only thing that you belong to. It is sickening and dark and so terribly everyday that it gets inside you if you let it. Sartre writes beautifully and describes the physical world in such incredible detail, that if you are a reader, and even more if you are a writer, you want to keep going and never put it down, but if you are not emotionally stable enough to handle the fact that you might have done nothing but existing, don't read this book. If you are jaded by love don't read this book. If you almost lost your self in desire, don't read this book. Probably nobody should read this book. Then again, if you are like me and obsessed with words and the art that comes from darkness and the study of lonliness, then this is a work of genius. Its beautifully written, terrifying and intense. So go ahead, but at your own risk, and when you freak the hell out, don't tell anyone that it was me who recommended that you mess with Sartre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nausea.

02/02 marked as: read

Chris That...was...awesome.

Pollopicu Love this review!

I have this one on my nightstand. You make it sound so irresistible.

Adina I couldn't have said it better myself, perfect.

message 4: by Marina (new) - added it

Marina Cucer just exactly how it feels..

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Williamson Well said, and I think you and I have a very similar obsession with regards to our love words and the beauty of sometimes disturbing elements of truth. I love the existential genre in literature and two of my all time favourites are Notes from Underground and Sorrows of Young Werther, but I'm having difficulty finding books that are able to succinctly articulate the existential condition. I recently read Fighter by Craig Davidson which I found to contain gems in this genre but any other suggestions anyone could make would be greatly appreciated.

Tamer You said it so damn perfectly, man. We are clearly floating in the same boat.....of existentialism.

message 7: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex Your comment makes me want to read it!

message 8: by Zhra (new)

Zhra I would be more intrested if i had red the book 10,15 Years ago..

Jack Blashchishen My problem with this book is it just seemed like roquentin was severely psychologically unwell rather than necessarily revealing the truth of existence. I don't know the vast majority of it was just so gloomy and I tend to view the existential condition as one of joy, which I suppose roquentin begins to find at the end.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

exactly! you had the words to say what i'd been thinking about nausea. people ask how to wrap their heads around the book and i just don't understand how they can not do it. i couldn't put it down despite the existential discontent it brought me.

message 11: by Samuel (new)

Samuel A good companion to Vertigo by A. Hitchcock

message 12: by JaNelle (new) - added it

JaNelle oh,well,yes, I may as well

message 13: by Khizar Zia (new) - added it

Khizar Zia Definetely reading it now.