Angela's Reviews > Fated

Fated by S.G. Browne

Aug 26, 13

bookshelves: bookcrossed-or-otherwise-set-free, 2011, favorites, advance-readers-edition, library-thing-early-reviewers, books-my-girlfriends-should-read
Read from February 22 to 25, 2011

Did you know that various immortals watch us at every moment? They do, and they report to God, who, by the way, prefers being called Jerry. But they're not supposed to interfere with us humans. In fact, Rule Number One is Don't Get Involved.

Fate, however, has broken Rule Number One. He's fallen in love.

Fate, who prefers being called Fabio, has grown tired of watching all of us screw up and wander off the paths he assigned us when we were born. This creates new work for him, assigning us each new fates, which we proceed to blithely ignore as well. Jerry damn that free will thing. But every now and then, Fabio runs into an individual whose path he cannot see. And when he runs into Sara repeatedly -- by Chance, at first, and then deliberately -- he knows she's on the Path of Destiny, and he can't see her future, but that doesn't matter. In fact, it makes her even more appealing....

And so, there goes Rule Number One. Which subsequently leads to breaking other rules, such as Rule Number Five, Never Materialize In Front Of Humans, followed closely by Rule Number Six, Never Dematerialize In Front Of Humans. And so forth.

But it's when Fabio breaks Rule Number Two, Don't Improve Anyone's Assigned Future, that things really start to get hairy.

The thing about Destiny is she's a nymphomaniac.
The thing about Lady Luck is she has ADD.
The thing about Jerry is he's omnipotent. But busy.
The thing about Gossip is...well, you know.

And the thing about S.G. Browne is he's following in Christopher Moore's footsteps, and doing a bang-up job of it. Which is why I hadn't even finished this book before I went out and bought his other title, Breathers.

Many thanks to LibraryThing's Early Reviewers Club for the opportunity to read this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fated.

02/24/2011 page 70
02/24/2011 page 104
30.0% "I'm going to have to start cataloging the rules: #1 Don't get involved. #5 Never materialize in front of humans. #9 Meet your quotas. #6 Never dematerialize in front of humans. #7 Don't fall in love. #2 Don't improve anyone's assigned future. #3 Never reveal you're immortal. That's it so far."
show 1 hidden update…