Valerie's Reviews > The Bone Doll's Twin

The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling

Sep 11, 11

bookshelves: ebooks, read-in-2011
Read from August 19 to September 10, 2011 — I own a copy

I went through a really convoluted process to read this - started reading on my Kobo, but took it slowly; then my Kobo died; and while I was in the process of arguing with Borders/Kobo for a new one (because I tried putting the ebook file on my smartphone, started reading it, and went "oh hell no"), I purchased a discounted copy of the entire trilogy.

Good news: I finally finished the book. And I thought it was great.

Tobin, born as a girl, had magic performed on her that was so potent that everybody thought he was a boy - including himself. This was done for his protection; King Erius usurped his half-sister's throne, and women from his line have a tendency to "disappear." However, a prophecy exists that says a warrior queen must rule Skala - and Tobin is that queen.

Be forewarned of two things: this book is mostly setup (though great setup!), and this book is dark. There is infanticide in the first few chapters of the novel, and it's pretty horrific and uncomfortable to read, followed by a suicide. The book does start to lighten in tone with the arrival of Tobin's friend, Ki, and their subsequent journey to court, but not by much. If you want something light, this is not the book you're looking for.

I picked up the entire trilogy at Borders and have already started the next one. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything plays out.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bone Doll's Twin.

08/19/2011
08/20/2011
11.0% "The atmosphere is SO CREEPY."
show 6 hidden updates…