Tiffiane's Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by L.A. Banks

Feb 26, 11

Read from February 22 to 26, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I enjoyed this book as much, if not more, than book 1.

In book 2 of the Vampire Huntress series, we learn much more about Damali, her past, Marlene's past, and some of what each of their Guardian team has been through to get where they all are today, as having become guardians and accepted the gifts given to them from On High.

We also learn more about what Damali will turn into once she reaches full-huntress Neteru capacity, and just what responsibility she has in the fight of light vs. dark - what the planets alignments each mean, and just how very important she is, being the first female Neteru in three thousand years, as well as the first ever Neteru born to span two milleniums.

Carlos is playing a very dangerous game, more dangerous than he imagined. By becoming a Master, and a triple agent - working for the Vampire Council, Nuit, the FBI/Police...and even possibly the Knights of Templar - things are stacking up very quickly against him, and he is being surrounded on all sides. But it becomes very clear that even before he was turned, he was already marked for Guardianship, and is Damali's soul mate, in every way, including as a Neteru. That means his choice determines whether he is damned or saved, and if Damali cannot hold vigilant against his telepathic pull, if she goes to him in his present condition, and conceives a daywalker, then the world as they know it changes forever.

The concert was a completely success for the side of light, they smash the darkness completely and ruin all the plans that Nuit has been putting into place for years. I couldn't help but be completely excited about that! But two Master's having to fight to the death against each other for the privilege to become Damali's mate? Woah! And what a bloody battle it was.

Damali has tried so long, for years, to get Carlos to choose and accept the path of light, but he keeps thinking he is already a damned soul, and is beyond redemption - but he is wrong. The Knights of Templar have tempted him to choose correctly, informing him that his many previous good works for others and decisions have been bounded together in his favor from On High, which is giving Heaven a very big decision of their own to make - whether to accept his repentance (if he chooses that), and allow his soul to be redeemed. They have not forgotten his past good works, no matter how bad he has become. The Knights of Templar have helped him as much as they can, to protect him and allow him opportunities to choose the side of light, and help Damali against dark with information he has managed to collect while being a triple agent, even while he is a Master. That is huge, and I can only hope that in book 3, we will find out if he survived the tunnel fights, and if so, finally know what his choice is, and find out whether him and Damali mate and make a new guardian for light or a daywalker for dark.

This series is absolutely fantastic, and I can't wait to read more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.

02/25/2011 page 91