Aubrey 's Reviews > Outlander

Feb 22, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Aubrey by: Rachel
Read in January, 2008

Outlander, I do believe, is the best book of the series. DG set this book up so that it's very different from the rest, in my opinion. It's the original story, the book that started it all - a love that spanned nearly 200 years, and in turn, created tons of different characters and even more stories to follow. When I read Outlander (I've read it more than once), I'm always transported back to thinking I've just caught up with a good friend. The characters DG introduced in this book just can't be forgotten. Sure, in the later books, there's more characters to love, but how could I ever forget Murtaugh or Dougal? This is just by far the most important and timeless (haha, get it?) book in the series, and is definitely my favorite.

As far as reviews go, I find that all of DG's books are a trifle long. It's not like reading a book with a beginning, middle, and end - that's not her style. Instead, you follow the every day life of characters...it's like falling into your own imagination and not coming out. With other books, I read for a few hours or minutes but I'm always aware of other things going on around me. With DG's, I forget that it's not reality. I wouldn't read this book if you're looking for a quick and easy read. One, they're addicting and you won't be able to stop, and two, they're heavy. Not just literally. This isn't a quick romance novel with smut - oh no. There's depth to these novels, passion, and characters you can't help but think you know personally.

Outlander is part historical fiction and part romance, but it's very unique. I love that DG took historical figures and made them real. These books make me think that DG took the time to write down every detail that women imagine on a normal basis - you'll get sucked in quickly if you ever dream about a different time or place.

I definitely think this book is worth a shot if you like romance and historical fiction. It's not boring at all like some books based on history can be and if you don't love Claire, there's something wrong with you. She's like the sassy woman in each of us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.