Sakina (Y.L.) Angel's Reviews > Extras

Extras by Scott Westerfeld

Mar 13, 11

bookshelves: dystopia
Read from February 22 to March 13, 2011, read count: 1

It definitely took me AGES to get into this book - probably because I was so busy that I didn't have the time to devote to it, and as it didn't have that much of a hook or strong start for me, I didn't really have the motivation to get through it. But then once I got to the middle, I was able to finish the story in three sittings.

Extras is set three years after the events in the first three novels, and focuses on a different city to Tally's, one that is in Japan where the economy works on reputation. I found the idea pretty intriguing, but at the same time it got pretty annoying to read about just how much reputation meant to the lead character. At some points, I was thinking - your life is in danger and all you can care about is whether or not you're getting footage of yourself!?

Plot-wise, I thought the novel had a weak start, but gained potential and suspense which didn't really carry through at the end - I was left feeling slightly disappointed. Overall, I was expecting something epic, but in a different way to the revelation that is revealed at the end which was kinda anticlimatic.

With regards to characters, I found Aya pretty annoying due to the aforementioned obsession with being famous, and the others didn't register on my radar at all i.e. they were way too one-dimensional. It was interesting seeing Tally portrayed from another point of view - she seemed much more mature at times, and was made out to be such a huge hero so it would have been enlightening to maybe see things from her view once or twice, just to see how much she has changed.

I liked the descriptive passages - where we learned about the new fashions and the giant empty caves and the vividness of the jungles - Westerfeld did a great job expanding my imagination in the confines of this story.

Overall, this was a mixed opinion. Some parts of the story were good, but sadly it didn't hold together enough for me to have been able to enjoy it as I should have done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extras.