Jude's Reviews > Stay

Aug 14, 11

bookshelves: in-my-shelf, favorites
Read from July 11 to August 07, 2011

Definitely a keeper.

My Faery God Mother gave me this book – My Faery God Mother being an amazing girl named Kristina - I had been wanting to read this book for so long and I’m so glad to say that it definitely lived up to expectations. This is my first Deb Caletti book and I’m still slapping myself for not picking up her books sooner. New Deb Caletti Fan Right Here :)

I had it as an e-book and I don’t recall marking so many pages in a book, My brother actually bought me the hardcover book – He’s my Faery God Father now – and based on the e-book I’m marking all my favorite pages in it right now, it’s gonna take a while.

I think that even though the book mainly focuses on Clara’s relationship with Christian, it still touches so many different and important subject, with so many metaphors that you need to read carefully and absorb as much as you can.

A book that has so much to Give. What you need to get all the magic of Stay: an open heart, an open mind, a pen to mark your favorite pages and with that, Stay will make its way to your favorites in no time. Just Buy It.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stay.

Quotes Jude Liked

Deb Caletti
“My father said that love at first sight should send you running, if you know what's good for you. It's your dark pieces having instant recognition with their dark pieces, he says. You're an idiot if you think it means you've met your soul mate. So I was an idiot.”

Deb Caletti
“I've heard that people stand in bad situations because a relationship like that gets turned up by degrees. It is said that a frog will jump out of a pot of boiling water. Place him in a pot and turn it up a little at a time, and he will stay until he is boiled to death. Us frogs understand this.”

Deb Caletti
“It's strange, isn't it, how the idea of belonging to someone can sound so great? It can be comforting, the way it makes things decided. We like the thought of being held, until it's too tight. We like that certainty, until it means there's no way out. And we like being his, until we realize we're not ours anymore.”

Deb Caletti
“Just because it turned out bad, doesn’t mean it wasn’t meant.”

Deb Caletti
“The most true-love words are not the ones that grasp and hold and bind you, twisting you both up together in some black dance. No, they are ones that leave you free to stand alone on your own solid ground, leave him to do the same, a tender space between you.”

Deb Caletti
“A person shows signs of clutching on too fast, of being needy, of not hearing the word "no," of jealousy, of guarding you and your freedom. But the signs can be so small they skitter right past you. Sometimes they dance past, looking satiny, something you should applaud. Someone's jealousy can make you feel good. Special. But it's not even about you. It's about a hand that is already gripping. It's about their need, circling around your throat”

Deb Caletti
“You have ordinary moments and ordinary moments and more ordinary moments, and then, suddenly, there is something monumental right there. You have past and future colliding in the present, your own personal Big Bang, and nothing will ever be the same.”

Deb Caletti
“People can attach themselves to something--an idea, another person, a desire--with an impossibly strong grip, and in the case of restless ghosts, a grip stronger than death. Will is a powerful thing. Will--it's supposed to be a good treat, a more determined and persistent version of determination and persistence. But will and obsession--they sit right next to each other. They pretend to be strangers and all the while meet secretly at midnight." -”

Deb Caletti
“Hurt is a weapon. Better weapon than most because it doesn't look like one.”

Deb Caletti
“You read all kinds of books and see all kinds of movies about the man who is obsessed and devoted, whose focus is a single solid beam, same as the lighthouse and that intense, too. It is Heathcliff with Catherine. It is a vampire with a passionate love stronger than death. We crave that kind of focus from someone else. We'd give anything to be that "loved." But that focus is not some soul-deep pinnacle of perfect devotion - it's only darkness and the tormented ghosts of darkness. It's strange, isn't it, to see a person's gaping emotional wounds, their gnawing needs, as our romance? We long for it, I don't know why, but when we have it, it is a knife at our throat on the banks of Greenlake. It is an unwanted power you'd do anything to be rid of. A power that becomes the ultimate powerlessness.”

Deb Caletti
“We see a promise as a personal law, and we see the people who break them as private-life criminals. We think it automatically, one of those truths that just is to us: breaking a promise is a bad, bad thing. A promise can be as buoyant as whispered words or solemn as a marriage vow, but we view it as something pure and untouchable when it should never be either of those things. If a promise is a personal law, a contract, then it ought to be layered with fine print, rules and conditions, promises within those promises, and whether we like it or not, it ought to be something we can snatch back, that we should snatch back, if those rules are violated.”

Deb Caletti
“A new person in your life gives the rest of you a chance to be new, too. Your life can be whatever you want it to, from there on out. I leaned in and kissed and that is who I was to him, not shy, but bold. Not inhibited, but brave. I was that to him and so I kept being that. It was what I thought he wanted and what he was attracted to, and yet it was this, this exact thing I wasn't even really, that made him the most insecure.”
Deb Caletti, Stay

07/11/2011 "This is going to become one of my favorites, I can just Feel it!" 1 comment
07/15/2011
67.0% 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ro (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ro OMG! This book was cute! I liked it, though it was a tad weird at times... :) Happy reading!

Jude Rogchelle wrote: "OMG! This book was cute! I liked it, though it was a tad weird at times... :) Happy reading!"

Thank You :D!

Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal) What did you think of the footnotes? I found them fun and an interesting change of pace! :)

Jude I LOVED THEM! they added a lot to the book, including humor ^^ I loved the note where she talks about the Crab's Laptop xD