Lisa Kay's Reviews > Just Like Heaven

Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn

★★★★½ This book is a delight! Ms. Quinn has managed to take an amusing inside joke from her Bridgertons series, change it into a charming anecdote, then transform it into an enchanting love story, plus make it the start of a developing series. Wow!
After eighteen years, no one attended a Smythe-Smith musical without some inkling of the horrors that lay ahead.
Sure, it is a light, fast, fun read. However, the illness Marcus Holroyd, Earl of Chatteris, contracts is no laughing matter. Honoria Smythe-Smith dithers a bit too much for me before she discovers his problem. Not fair? True. Due to my experience as an ICU nurse who has dealt with patients who don’t survive this, I knew what was developing and time is of the essence; for despite today’s technology, intravenous fluids resuscitation, and antibiotics, this is one of the hardest things to cure. (Did you notice JQ’s dedication to Paul – it is always Paul, BTW – where he told her, “He has to die.”) The following spoiler contains IMHO medical ramblings: (view spoiler)

stolen treacle tart

But, back to the 1820’s and stolen treacle tarts. I loved Marcus.
And I loved Marcus and Honoria’s sweet love story of childhood friends turned to lovers. It is a book that just keeps getting better and better with each turn of the page. I found myself laughing over delicious dialogue, and sighing over the discovery of tender feelings.

A good read. I can't wait for the next in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Like Heaven.

Quotes Lisa Kay Liked

Julia Quinn
“He’d spent his life being a perfect gentleman. He’d never been a flirt. He’d never been a rogue. He hated being the center of attention, but by God, he wanted to be the center of her attention. He wanted to do the wrong thing, the bad thing. He wanted to pull her into his arms and carry her to her bed. He wanted to peel every last inch of her clothing from her body, and then he wanted to worship her. He wanted to show her all the things he wasn’t sure he knew how to say.”

Julia Quinn
“I shall have one, too," he told her. "So that you don't feel alone."

She tried not to smile. "That is most generous of you."

"I am quite certain it is my gentlemanly duty."

"To eat cake?"

"It is one of the more appealing of my gentlemanly duties," he allowed.”

“He loved her.
He wanted her.
He needed her.
And he needed her now.”

Julia Quinn
“It wasn't one of my favorite boots," Marcus said, trying to cheer Miss Royle up. She looked as if someone had decapitated a puppy.”

Julia Quinn
“No. Haven’t you been listening?”

Marcus would always remember that moment. It was to be the first time he would ever be faced with that most vexing of female quirks: the question that had nothing but wrong answers.”
tags: humor

Julia Quinn
“In his heart, she’d been smiling for him.

But now she was smiling at Colin Bridgerton, he of the famous charm and sparkling green eyes.”

Julia Quinn
“Well,” she finally said, “he’s coming back shortly, so you are absolved of your responsibilities.”

“No.” The word came from him like an oath, emerging from the very core of his being.

She looked at him in impatient confusion. “What do you mean?”

He stepped forward. He wasn’t sure what he was doing. He knew only that he couldn’t stop. “I mean no. I don’t want to be absolved.”

Her lips parted. He took another step. His heart was pounding, and something within him had gone hot, and greedy, and if there was anything in the world besides her, besides him—he did not know it.

“I want you,” he said, the words blunt, and almost harsh, but absolutely, indelibly true.

“I want you,” he said again, and he reached out and took her hand. “I want you.”

“Marcus, I—”

“I want to kiss you,” he said, and he touched one finger to her lips. “I want to hold you.”

And then, because he couldn’t have kept it inside for one second longer, he said, “I burn for you.”

He took her face in his hands and he kissed her. He kissed her with everything that had been building within him, every last aching, hungry burst of desire. Since the moment he had realized he loved her, this passion had been growing within him. It had probably been there all along, just waiting for him to realize it.

He loved her.”

06/17/2011 page 67
17.0% "Started this this morning; so far I'm liking it. Some parts are funny, so parts I'm still wondering why they are in the story?" 17 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ally72 Fantastic review, Lisa Kay!!! I am so happy you liked this one and I LOVE the pictures you always add in your reviews. I just wish it had been a little more steamy, but that is okay. Honora and Marcus were such a great pair and it will be fun to see what JQ does with this series.

Lisa Kay Thanks, Ally! I loved this one! It was so delicious. I like them all, from erotica to Harlequin's "Inspirational" love stories. As long as it is HEA; however, I wouldn’t be surprised if this one became a “re-read for comfort” for me.

message 3: by Marilyn (new) - added it

Marilyn Rondeau I guess I'm gonna have to get it!!!

Lisa Kay Oh, I would love to read your review, Marilyn!

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* I've not read any JQ since her Bridgerton series but, having read your review, I will definitely consider reading this one!

Lisa Kay Great, Carol! I would be interested to hear what you have to say. BTW, my copy of Last Night's Scandal (Carsington Brothers #5) by Loretta Chase arrived last week. I just haven't been able to fit it into a challenge yet! Well, other than the yearly "Friends" challenge I have at RRRC (with you as the friend). But not a monthly challenge. :)

message 7: by Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* (last edited Jun 20, 2011 06:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* Lisa Kay, I raved about Last Night's Scandal so much, so I hope you're not disappointed. Otherwise, I will be in your bad books and will be worried what form your revenge will take!!!

BTW, not to appear dumb, but what's your yearly "Friends" challenge at RRRC all about?

Lisa Kay LOL! Great poster, Carol, but no revenge planned, as of yet! :)

Romance Readers Reading Challenges > 2011 A-Z Friends Challenge:
“Read 26 books from the bookshelves of your friends/other RRRC members whose names/nicknames start with the letters of the alphabet. You can read a book from any of their shelves but it would be nice to read a book they already liked and enjoyed (that would allow you to get to know each other better.)”
Here is the link to my posting, #356, not quite ½ down on page 8; go to page 1 if you want more info. However, I couldn’t just pick 26 of my friends, and I liked the idea so much I selected 40 friends’ books.

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* Good luck, Lisa Kay. That's a lot of books!!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Carol! And, yes, it is!

message 11: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Great review - as usual!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Shell's Bells!

message 13: by willaful (new)

willaful Nice review, though I don't think even you can talk me into reading another Quinn book. ;-)

Lisa Kay LOL! Thanks, willaful! You made my day! However, I needed this while I was (am) "buddy reading" my way through A Game of Thrones. I may have to pick up another of hers just to get through the rest of GoT!!
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1) by George R.R. Martin

Pamela(AllHoney) I will have to read this soon. I have some library books I need to read first though.

message 16: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne A great review Lisa!

Lisa Kay Thanks, KatLynne!

Ronyell Awesome review Lisa!! Love the tart pic!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Ronyell!