Amy's Reviews > Uglies

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Jun 21, 08

bookshelves: 2008-books-read, dystopia, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, young-adult, favorites
Read in June, 2008

After finishing 425 pages that I couldn't put down, I'm finding myself needing to buy the next in the series as soon as possible. No wonder editors are getting copy-cat novels similar to this from aspiring writers.

Uglies tells the story of a post-apocalyptic dystopia where everyone gets a surgery at age 16 to make them "pretty" with a perfect body, perfect face, and diminished personality. This surgery is supposed to prevent people from having an unfair advantage in the workplace because of the way they look and to prevent conflicts because of the color of people's skin. And when you become a "pretty" there's nothing but party after party every night. However, from the age of 12-15, you have to move to Ugly Town to live with all the other "uglies" until your operation. However, over the years, many of the uglies have escaped beyond the city to live off the land rather than to become a pretty.

The author has created a different world with different rules. The city has a grid up metal under it which magnetic hoverboards and hovercrafts use to zip around the city. People look different and have different initiation rites for growing older.

One of the characters spends a great deal of time following a riddle another ugly has left behind for her to get from the city to the secret world of the uglies who refused to turn pretty. These uglies have created a place called The Smoke where they have attempted to keep vestiges of the past alive with a library of books and magazines from the time before everyone's eventual fate was to become a pretty.

If the other books in this series are as good as the first, I know what I'm going to be spending too much money on in the next few days or weeks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uglies.

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 7: by Barry (new)

Barry Sounds like a good book - wonder what hollywood would make of it? Find a way to have a pretty heroine who can pass for perfect but dumb (why am I thinking Jessica Alba?) and thus help the uglies?

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I think it would make and excellent movie actually. Except, who would want an "ugly" part in it? Well, frankly, the uglies often just don't have symmetrical faces.

Sami I completely agree with you! I love this series and the rest are wonderful but you probably already read them! lol!

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Sami wrote: "I completely agree with you! I love this series and the rest are wonderful but you probably already read them! lol!"

I stopped reading after the 3rd book because the storyline stopped being very interesting and I didn't like any of the characters anymore. But it was a good run!

Sami Ok. Well, I am reading this book series for the second time and I am now going onto Extras. I remember a little bit that it was a bit boring at the beginning but it got better as it went on. I understand why you stopped reading though.

Sami I think I read somewhere that there is an Uglies movie coming out in 2011. I don't know if it's true or not.

Too Many Thoughts This sounds interesting. I'll put this on my to-read list.