Robin Ripley's Reviews > And I Shall Have Some Peace There: Trading in the Fast Lane for My Own Dirt Road

And I Shall Have Some Peace There by Margaret Roach

Mar 16, 11

bookshelves: memoirs, non-fiction, gardening
Read from February 22 to 28, 2011

I like Margaret Roach. Having traded a few tweets with her over the past couple of years, I feel like I know her--just a little bit--although I have never met her. So I was anxious to get my hands on a copy of her book.

Reading this book was like peaking into someone's head. It wasn't all pretty and tidy. It was a little messy, a little happy, a little sad, a lot confused. Her move from NYC to the country didn't happen overnight, but her transition to a country lifestyle certainly did. To read the experience, as told through her eyes, is similar to what I experienced with my own move to rural Maryland. It was like putting words to my own experience--to a point.

I don't believe I ever agonized quite so much--call me shallow. I'm also grateful that I had company in my journey (husband and son). But her reflections on the changing seasons, plants, wildlife and our country neighbors was certainly familiar.

I would encourage anyone who just enjoys a quirky memoir or who is contemplating the rural life to read this book. I'll be thinking about it for a long time. I also hope I get to meet Margaret in person someday.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And I Shall Have Some Peace There.

Stephanie I just ordered this and am looking forward to reading it...I moved to a rural area in Maryland at mid life, retiring from a career in healthcare so this runs near and dear to my own experiences...I think theres alot of us in our 40s and 50s having the same feelings about making changes in our lives.