Lisa Vegan's Reviews > How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World

How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie Priceman

Mar 07, 11

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Recommended for: armchair travelers; kids who like to help bake/cook; fans of wonderful illustrations
Read on March 07, 2011

The cover illustration seemed similar to the art style of Chagall, and I was expecting the inside illustrations to remind me of his work. They didn’t. But, I really loved them. The illustrations are very detailed and a great deal of fun. I particularly enjoyed the dogs, cats, birds, and wild animals, but “seeing the world” was enjoyable too, transport vehicles included.

The story is a delight. I’d have LOVED it when I was a kid. An apple pie is so easy to make: go to the store and get the ingredients and then make it and bake it, but if the store is closed… well, there’s an alternative way to gather those ingredients. The result is tremendously amusing and certainly gives a bit of a lesson on not only making an apple pie from scratch, but on how the original ingredients can be procured.

There is an apple pie recipe included in the back of the book, which is a nice touch. It’s very (unnecessarily) non-vegan, but for vegan baking it would be very easy to veganize.

Much thanks to Goodreads’ friend Kathryn whose review alerted me to this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathryn Yay! So happy you loved this one. Since I love apple pie and I love travels, it was pretty much perfect for especially with the darling illustrations. I have the sequel "How to Make A Cherry Pie and See the U.S.A." out from the library now! :-)

Lisa Vegan I did! Thank you, Kathryn! This is a keeper. And off to look for the cherry pie book and see if I can reserve it. Muchas gracias!