Nicole's Reviews > The Ersatz Elevator

The Ersatz Elevator by Lemony Snicket

Mar 14, 11

bookshelves: books-for-tweens-teens
Read from March 10 to 14, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Another miserable edition in the awful adventures/trials of the Baudelaire orphans, and I mean that in a good way. I'm really amazed at how the author is able to come up with all these awful things to keep happening to the kids and to keep it entertaining, while still adding in all the vocabulary and idioms. I'm sure most kids reading these books wouldn't realize the English lessons they're learning. I am really bothered, though, by the lack of spine and depth and character that the adults in these books have. I'm sure that's intentional on the author's part, to make the kids more heroic for the intended audience, who are, incidentally, also children (dripping with sarcasm), but it's starting to get really annoying to me. The one guardian in this book who truly seems to love the kids by the end just walks away because he has no guts to stand up for them. I also hope that by the end of the series the author explains all the things he starts to and then stops. In this book there were about 3-4 things that he alluded to or starts to explain and then doesn't, one of them carried over from the previous book. Also, I liked the veiled insinuation by the author against "in" things and greediness. Hopefully, kids can pick up on that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ersatz Elevator.