Beth's Reviews > Cast in Shadow

Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara

I really wanted to like this book, but this author is unable to string two sentences together. Seriously, it's a painful read, which is unfortunate since I think there is some decent world-building in there. Somewhere. I think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cast in Shadow.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) I couldn't agree more.

message 2: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth I like what you said about it from an editing standpoint - some sort of prologue and a character list would have been really helpful. I did read the whole book, but I was so confused for the first 50 pages or so because I didn't understand the relationships between the characters. Unfortunately, the next 450 pages were just as bad - solely because of the poor quality of writing. The next time I complain that a Laurell K. Hamilton book has been poorly edited, I'll remember this book and Hamilton's prose will seem perfect in comparison :)

message 3: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) Is my review still showing???

I thought I accidentally deleted it last night. When did you read it?

I can make it through a whole LKH book, even if I am pulling my teeth out slowly, one by one. But I could not waste another minute reading this one!

Sucks because I have 6 books in the series, and don't know what to do with them now.

message 4: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth That's weird! It's still showing for me on the book's main page, but when I try to click "see review," it tells me the review cannot be found. Maybe it just takes a while to purge the server?

I bet the books would go fast on PaperBackSwap.com - it looks like at least the first book has no available copies, so it would be requested right away. I've never used the Goodreads swap feature, but I've been using PaperBackSwap for a few years and it's been great.

message 5: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) My copies of them are not postable by PBS standards, so I'm stuck with them. I had one person ask about them, but she only wants mmpb, and mine are a mix of trade and mmpb. Plus, she asked me what trade meant, so I'm not even responding to her.

I posted them in the unpostables thread and the WL thread, but only that one response so far!

message 6: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth lol I don't blame you :)

That's the one thing I wish PBS did differently - who has the time to check the threads constantly for acceptable but technically unpostable books? I wish there were some way to let the people waiting for a book to know you have an unpostable copy and let them decide for themselves if they want it. I can maybe understand not allowing ARCs for legal reasons, but I don't care if a book has a little water damage as long as it's still readable, especially for coveted books with little turnover!

message 7: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) Yeah, I agree!

But at the same time, it's a whole lot better on PBS than on bookmooch.

I always have tons of ARCs and never have problems finding new homes for them and getting a credit for them. :-) I've got a few people that always check my lists and will ask for them.

message 8: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth I never tried bookmooch - sometimes I get books with bookmooch materials inside or with bookcrossing stickers on them, but PBS was the first site I signed up for and I've been so happy with it that I haven't strayed :) That's great that you've been able to swap your ARCs - I'd imagine that most people would be happy to get the book!

message 9: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) I used bookmooch because I had a bunch of books that were unpostable, and I'd use the points to get reminder list PBS books on bookmooch.

Then after too much negativity, I just split second decided to cancel my account there.

I also used SwapTree for awhile, but I heard they charge per transaction now and I won't do that.

PBS is definitely the best, so I don't have to tell you that! :-)