Becca's Reviews > Overprotected

Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens

Mar 16, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, books-read-in-2011, contemporary-ya
Read in March, 2011

Ashlyn was abducted when she was five years old. Her nanny took her because she was in love with Ashlyn's father, she said she would kill Ashlyn if he didn't leave his wife to be with her. Since her dad got her back Ashlyn has been guarded 24/7. She is now 17 and always has a body guard. She is rarely allowed to leave the house. Her current body guard Stuart has become obsessed with her, he claims to love her and he is always watching her. So when she gets him fired she figures her dad will have to realize that she is now old enough to be on her own.

But instead her dad gets her a new body guard, someone from her past who he knows she hates. He hires Colin; Ashlyn's childhood neighbor and tormentor. Colin is gorgeous and she hates who he used to be, but she is coming to find that Colin has changed. Throughout this book Ashlyn starts to loose some of her nativity, she begins to see things how they really are. She is trapped in her home isolated from the world. Her mother and father are trapped in a love-less marriage and the cracks are beginning to show to everyone around them. Ashlyn begins to see that her father will never let her go unprotected, and he will control every aspect of her life unless she does something. Her relationship with her father was just downright creepy to me.

I found Ashlyn to be immature and childish. Her parents obsession with her safety and the way they talked to her were horrible. They talked to her as if she were a child and she just allowed it and hardly ever stood up for herself. But when she did stand up for herself she would ruin it by being childish and running off and slamming doors. She pouted through half of the book I felt like. It was obvious where this story was going and what some of the twists and turns were going to be. I felt that the relationship between Ashlyn and Colin went from them caring about each other to love in the span of a minute. Their relationship was underdeveloped and I hate that we don't actually get to see the couple together and happy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Overprotected.