Joanna's Reviews > Flipped

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen

Feb 13, 08

bookshelves: youngreaders-ya, favorite-covers, deserves-6-stars
Read in February, 2008

This slim little bit-o-fluff young-adult novel kicked my butt today. I would have been bawling if I had been able to put it down long enough to finish it in the privacy of my own home. It's like Stargirl, except every character is drawn so true to life, so believably, you would swear you went to school with them. I knew the primary message going in, that it's all about perspective, and that we never see ourselves the way others see us, not really. It's the story of a girl, a marvelous girl, an ordinary girl, who meets a boy, a cute boy, an ordinary boy. And the way she sees him, and the way he sees her, and how they each completely misunderstand the other. Meanwhile it's about so much more---about marriage, and aging, and responsibilty, and locally raised chickens, and yardwork, and school pressure, and pain, and loss, and joy, and love, and in the end, it's truly about the fact that every person you meet is "more than the sum of his/her parts" Every person is more than you know, until you really look. And sometimes we see ourselves as more than we really are, until we really look. And we all have the capacity for so much more.

And it's all wrapped up in this slim little unthreatening bit-o-fluff package, with a friendly little fluffy chick on the cover. How hard could it be?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flipped.