Beverly Kennett's Reviews > Ivy and Bean

Ivy and Bean by Annie Barrows

Feb 22, 2011

bookshelves: realistic-fiction, series-books

I listened to this story on CD.

Ivy and Bean live on the same block and their mother's encourage them to become friends, yet both girl's are reluctant. They see each other as opposites. Ivy wears dresses often, reads many books and seems content entertaining herself, while Bean wears shorts and t-shirts, prefers to play in large groups of children of all ages, and constantly and often purposefully antagonizes her older sister. After a chance encounter, Ivy begins to help Bean hide from her parents when she thinks she is in trouble. The girls learn that they do have some things in common, and they end up enjoying each other's company while making plans for their next adventure.

I enjoyed this simple friendship story. When the girls were speaking, the dialog sounded real and their antics also seemed realistic for seven years olds. The dynamics of different relationships could be looked at with this book; te girls' friendship, the two sisters' relationship, how the mothers relate to the girls, even the grouchy neighbor whose yard the girls take a short-cut through. Although I enjoyed this story, I didn't particularly like listening to it on a CD. It was narrated by a young girl's voice and I found it hard for my mind not to wander. I would have liked different voices for at least the main characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ivy and Bean.

Q_Barb Bev, I did like this book, too. It speaks so strongly about friendship and the unlikely places it may be found and the danger of prejudging someone's potential as a friend. A great lesson to be learned in early elementary grades that could, hopefully, be remembered and carried forward into the older grades. I liked the illustrations that showed their physical differences, the bush scene was so great, and the way the book showed the trail that they took toward her house. The sister sibling relationship is really close to how I remember my own. Sweet book, yes?

message 2: by Q_Jill (new)

Q_Jill Burke At the end of last year I let each person in our 2nd grade reading group recommend a book. This was one of the books. It was a group of all girls so a book about girl friendship was great. They loved it. We created a mural by adding pictures to a big sheet of art paper after we read each chapter.

Beverly Kennett L11_Barb wrote: "Bev, I did like this book, too. It speaks so strongly about friendship and the unlikely places it may be found and the danger of prejudging someone's potential as a friend. A great lesson to be lea..."

Barb, Unfortunately, when I checked the CD out from our library, they did not a copy of the book, so I didn't get to see the illustrations. Now I want to, because of the way you described them. I want to see the trail! I will try another library tomorrow before class to see if I can get a copy.