Krys's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Feb 19, 14

bookshelves: short-length-book, young-adult, mystery-suspense, read-in-2012, first-person-narrative, alternating-dual-multi-narratives, stand-alone, own
Recommended for: pretty much everyone
Read from February 18 to 19, 2012, read count: 1

It took me five years and numerous advanced copies through my hands before I finally read Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. This is one of the books that everyone has told me I need to read, but it wasn't until you all voted for it for the Blood Magic Challenge that I finally decided to give it a crack.

I read it in two nights. Boom boom. Two sittings, sucked in... and done.

The premise is what you have heard. Clay is a good boy set up for success. He'll probably be the Valedictorian, he is well liked... everything goes right for him. One day he receives a box full of audiotapes from Hannah Baker, a girl who recently committed suicide and a girl whom he cared about from afar. When he listens to the tapes he hears her infamous words:

I hope you're ready, because I am about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you're listening to these tapes, you are one of the reasons why:

The rules are pretty simple. There are only two. Rule number one: You listen. Number two you pass it on.

Thus begins a journey through Hannah's last year of life with Clay listening with trepidation. Is he the first reason, the fifth... the last? He doesn't know where he fits into Hannah's decision to commit suicide but, based solely upon her testimonial of everyone else's involvement he knows it cannot be good.

This book touches upon so many themes that teens will identify with - guilt and shame, the pain of unrequited love, and the inability to change one's destiny. I found myself completely gutted over this book, over Clay's reactions and over Hannah's reasons. Simply put the book is beautiful. Gut wrenching and beautiful. I held off for many years because I didn't want to read a depressing suicide book but the book is so much more than that. It's more about life affirmation, about living as opposed to dying, and about never regretting the choices that have brought you down your path. This is a very important book for everyone to read. Not just teens. Everyone should read this book.

5 out of 5 stars.

- Review courtesy of www.bibliopunkkreads.com

02/19/2012 page 136
02/19/2012 page 220
76.0% "Oh god this book."
show 1 hidden update…