Greta is Erikasbuddy's Reviews > The Death of Superman

The Death of Superman by Dan Jurgens

Feb 22, 11

Read in February, 2011

Cult Classic Graphic Novel READ!

But am I impressed?

Not really because I know Superman is not really dead.

I think I was in 10th grade when Superman died. Then I think it was the very next year that they brought him back.....

I've never been INTO Superman until recently when I started watching Smallville. I've always liked the idea of Superman but never have been too thrilled with him.

The Death of Superman was just that. It was ok but I wasn't thrilled.

I was shocked to see that Lex Luthor had been killed off a while ago (I have no clue how) and his son was now in charge of LexCorp or LuthorCorp (they have both in Smallville lolz) and had a massive mane of red locks (I thought maybe Lex stumbled upon Rogaine at first. I had no clue that was Junior till it was mentioned). OH! And Lex jr. was shacking up with Supergirl!! Waaaaa?!!!

The dialogue was pretty simple and Superman let loose one cuss word. (gasp) But maybe that's because the people behind Superman figured the kids were going to read it.

The beating up Superman in my opinion was pretty tame. It didn't make me cringe like my husband said it would. (view spoiler) It wasn't like Superman was pounded to hamburger meat. Although there is a part where a bird is crushed and a deer is choked. I got excited over that. Before you call PETA they were cartoon animals and I'm sure they are back to happily frolicking on the piece of paper they were drawn on. I just liked it that they pushed the envelope. (I'm odd)

After reading the comic I started to wonder how they would have done Superman's death today. My husband rolled his eyes at me and told me it wasn't that long ago. Uhhh... yeah it was! Like almost 20 years. Look how far we have come. We're not afraid to show hamburger pounded beefcakes.

While the Superman of yesterday didn't wow me..... I would read it again if it was ever redone... just out of curiousity.. and shock value ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death of Superman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine They killed him only to bring him back the next year? How exactly did they swing that?

Greta is Erikasbuddy From what I remember Superman somehow spilts into 4 or something. I remember everyone feeling kind of cheated when that happened. I've never been INTO Superman but all I can guess is they wanted him to appear God-like (maybe?)

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Weird.

message 4: by AH (new)

AH Superman? You read the coolest books.

Greta is Erikasbuddy AH wrote: "Superman? You read the coolest books."

We've been watching the Smallville Seasons (got 6 done and am waiting on Season 7 to get to us from the library) and Willum asked if I had ever read the DEATh of Superman. I told him NO but I knew what happened. So, he told me to get it because Doomsday was 'supposed' to have really given Superman a whipping. Now, I got mondo excited about this because I like to see Superman fail. Yes... I am Team Luthor hahahas!! But after reading it I was kinda disappointed because I didn't think it was brutal enough. That's probably weird, huh? LOLZ!

Mickey's reading it now. I'll have to ask him what he thinks about it when he's done.

message 6: by AH (new)

AH I like Smallville, but I haven't watched too many episodes. I just don't watch TV too much anymore. Mostly the dumb shows I am hooked on like Vampire Diaries and Fringe and I've started Supernatural on DVD. Problem is the moment that TV is turned on, I fall asleep. Never fails.

message 7: by Catherine (last edited Feb 24, 2011 02:08PM) (new)

Catherine AH wrote: "I like Smallville, but I haven't watched too many episodes. I just don't watch TV too much anymore. Mostly the dumb shows I am hooked on like Vampire Diaries and Fringe and I've started Supernatura..."

My husband and I just discovered Supernatural a few months ago. We're all caught up now. We did the same with Sons of Anarchy. It's a lot of fun to get to glom them instead of waiting impatiently each week.

We're current on Fringe, but I've lost a lot of my enthusiasm for it. I don't like the direction it has gone.

Greta is Erikasbuddy I fall asleep too in front of the tv. lolz! I tend to get all warm and fuzzy and the next thing I know a couple hours have passed.

You don't watch HOUSE?!! That's our big show around here. That and The Big Bang Theory, How I Met your Mother, Modern Family, and the Middle. I guess we watch a lot of sitcoms.

I've been wanting to watch Smallville for like ever. I like watching them on dvd. We can knock out a season in about a week. Snapples... on the weekends we can knock out about 10 shows. I'm gonna go blind by the time I'm 50 lolz

Greta is Erikasbuddy OH!! I want to watch The Sons of Anarchy, too! I have the first season but I haven't watched it yet.

message 10: by AH (new)

AH Fringe kind of went steampunky this year.

We also watch True Blood that way - My 14 year old watched every episode of Dr Who (insane because there are 25 years or more of that show out there). I think he memorized them as well.

message 11: by AH (new)

AH What's the Sons of anarchy? I haven't heard of it.

message 12: by Catherine (last edited Feb 24, 2011 02:14PM) (new)

Catherine Greta is Erikasbuddy wrote: "I fall asleep too in front of the tv. lolz! I tend to get all warm and fuzzy and the next thing I know a couple hours have passed.

You don't watch HOUSE?!! That's our big show around here. Tha..."

Mmmm, House. I love that show. Especially now that the irritating Cameron is gone. I haven't watched the last 8 or so episodes though. This season took that long break and I got out of sync with it.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Your son watched every episode of Dr. Who? Holy cheese crackers Batman!!

I need to catch up on True Blood. I have season 2 and 3 to watch. I probably should do that soon before school lets out.

message 14: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Greta is Erikasbuddy wrote: "OH!! I want to watch The Sons of Anarchy, too! I have the first season but I haven't watched it yet."

I was kind of forbearing about it when my husband started watching it, but it turned out to be awesome. It sucked me in and kept me there. I really like it.

Greta is Erikasbuddy AH wrote: "What's the Sons of anarchy? I haven't heard of it."

message 16: by AH (new)

AH Season 2 is really weird. They let Maryann take over and she is creepy. Episode 9 was great (I am an Eric fan). I liked Season 3.

message 17: by AH (new)

AH Greta is Erikasbuddy wrote: "AH wrote: "What's the Sons of anarchy? I haven't heard of it."

Sons of Anarchy is a biker show on FX. I think the lead dude looks like Kurt Cobain"

Must check that out. We don't get FX here.

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine AH wrote: "What's the Sons of anarchy? I haven't heard of it."

From the site...

FX's original series, Sons of Anarchy, is an adrenalized drama with darkly comedic undertones that explores a notorious outlaw motorcycle club's (MC) desire to protect its livelihood while ensuring that their simple, sheltered town of Charming, California remains exactly that, Charming. The MC must confront threats from drug dealers, corporate developers, and overzealous law officers. Behind the MC's familial lifestyle and legally thriving automotive shop is a ruthless and illegally thriving arms business. The seduction of money, power,
and blood.

Jackson ‘Jax' Teller (Charlie Hunnam) is the MC's vice-president who is tested by his growing apprehension for its lawlessness, Gemma Teller Morrow (Katey Sagal) is Jax's force-of-nature mother, and Clarence ‘Clay' Morrow (Ron Perlman) is Jax's stepfather and MC president. The triangle of Mother, Son, and Stepfather will ultimately reveal the dark secrets in this family's past and the lengths they will go to protect their sins.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Peg from Married with Chilren is on Sons of Anarchy. She plays a biker mamma ;)

I figureed Season 2 would be weird considering they let Lafeyette live.

I hear the wolves come out in Season 3 !!

message 20: by Catherine (last edited Feb 24, 2011 02:18PM) (new)

Catherine Greta is Erikasbuddy wrote: "Peg from Married with Chilren is on Sons of Anarchy. She plays a biker mamma ;)

I figureed Season 2 would be weird considering they let Lafeyette live.

I hear the wolves come out in Season 3 !!"

She looks smokin' in it too!

She is my favorite character because I find her fascinating.

message 21: by Catherine (new)

Catherine AH wrote: "Fringe kind of went steampunky this year."

I just found the 'net characters tedious to watch. Also, the developments on the relationship front make me sad. I don't think I'd ever really be able to get over that even if I was able to forgive.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Catherine wrote: "She looks smokin' in it too!

She is my favorite character because I find her fascinating"

Greta is Erikasbuddy I tried watching Fringe but it just reminds me of the X Files and I'd rather watch that ;) My husband watches it though

message 24: by Catherine (last edited Feb 24, 2011 02:29PM) (new)

Catherine Greta is Erikasbuddy wrote: "I;ve seen 2 or 3 episodes and was like "WOAH!! She's going all Mama Bear over her cub!" She plays that part very very well!!"

Very well. She plays the game very well and is one of the smartest characters (if not the smartest) in the show.

message 25: by AH (new)

AH Oh yes, the wolves do come out season 3, and let me say the guy who plays Alcide is mighty fine eye candy. They need to keep him....

message 26: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Greta is Erikasbuddy wrote: "I tried watching Fringe but it just reminds me of the X Files and I'd rather watch that ;) My husband watches it though"

My sister used to be OBSESSED with the X-Files. You have no idea. O_O I enjoyed the show until the swapped around the male leads.

message 27: by Greta is Erikasbuddy (last edited Feb 24, 2011 02:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Greta is Erikasbuddy AH wrote: "Oh yes, the wolves do come out season 3, and let me say the guy who plays Alcide is mighty fine eye candy. They need to keep him...."

Owww!! I've soo heard about him!! NOM NOM NOM!! I think I'll start catching up on that show on Monday.

message 28: by Greta is Erikasbuddy (last edited Feb 24, 2011 02:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Greta is Erikasbuddy Catherine wrote: "Greta is Erikasbuddy wrote: "I tried watching Fringe but it just reminds me of the X Files and I'd rather watch that ;) My husband watches it though"

My sister used to be OBSESSED with the X-File..."

I didn't like it when they replaced Mulder with Dogbird (hahas!) either. He was sooo lame-o!! I liked how the lone gunman always made fun of him ;)

message 29: by AH (new)

AH We have a Cigarette Smoking Man that walks his dog on our street. Yes, I call him the Cigarette smoking man after the X-files.

message 30: by Catherine (new)

Catherine LOL!

Greta is Erikasbuddy AH wrote: "We have a Cigarette Smoking Man that walks his dog on our street. Yes, I call him the Cigarette smoking man after the X-files."

LOLZ! That's awesome!

We always ends up with Cletus the slack jawed yokel from the Simpsons as our neighbors ;P

message 32: by AH (new)

AH I live in the ashtray of Canada. There are a lot of smokers here.

Greta is Erikasbuddy ah yes! I totally understand :) Down here it's mainly drinking xP (that's how they turn into cletus-es. My neighbor has drinking parties all the time. They even have a tv and a couch out on his back deck. Can you say HELLO REDNECK? lolz!)

message 34: by AH (new)

AH I think every part of the world has its eccentricities. You just have to hope that you don't need to see it daily, or that your backyard is nice and private.

Greta is Erikasbuddy LOLZ! The problem with our backyards is while is had a privacy fence, I'm up on a hill and he's at the bottom. There's no way around looking into his backyard ;P

The worst part of it are his dogs. He has Australian Cattle dogs. OMG! He let's those things out at 5am and all the do is howl and howl and howl! Augh