Rollie's Reviews > Mortal Engines

Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve

2049248
Feb 22, 2011

Read in March, 2011

I’ve seen this book with a YA label on the cover and I thought it was silly for a book to be labeled a genre on it. Since I heard about the book before, I went home along with this. Yeepah!

Tom Natsworthy is a third-class Historian apprentice of New London, since his parents died and left him with small amount of money that could only support a third class of apprenticeship. Being a Londoner is a pride but being a third-class apprentice is mock. When he meets for the second time his hero, Timothy Valentine and has saved his life. Instead of honoring him, he has got himself out of the running island of London.

Hester Shaw is a girl who survived from a massacre. Her parent’s murdered but she remained alive and lives with a scar that reminds her of the reason she lives for. She must take revenge against a man who murdered her family. When she gets her chance to kill the murderer, a boy intervenes. Unexpectedly, the same boy travels with her to hunt down the murderer they both now loath.

This book is surprisingly good. I mean really good. Before my main review, I don’t know if this is a dystopia or a steampunk since the book has the two qualities to consider either of them. But I think this is a cross-genre of steampunk and dystopia, if my sources are right that steampunk isn’t just set during Victorian era but any era as long as engines are in it. But if you’re looking for some kind of steampunk of book, I highly recommend this.

Back to really good, this book has made my taste. I like the new world. This book shows different world unlike the previous dystopian novels I’ve read. The world sets in the future but bringing with it the Victorian era. If we’ll think of future, technology might be the first thing to come to our mind because it’s pretty obvious that as year passes by, the technology is becoming better and better. And to think of its downfall in the future is really unimaginable. But Reeve made it possible. The present technologies we have as if forgotten in this book that depicts how far the year they are from us. Among the dystopian novels I’ve read, this is the farthest to the possibility of the future. The idea of the book is really cool but where’s the science in a walking city?

This is one of the heartbreaking books I’ve read so far. I can’t imagine the loss in the story… it saddened me a lot. I was hoping for a bright future of the heroes here in the sequel of this series but it distressed me to know that it may not happen anymore. I don’t want to discuss it any further; I may have given the titanic spoiler.

Among the characters, I liked Grike. The people who have read this might think I’ve gone nuts. Yes, if it is what it takes for them to believe me. Why Grike? Behind his monstrous features, I admire his heart’s desire. After the squeezing of my brain, I still did not guess what his heart really desires. And now I’m sorry for him.

I wasn’t really paying attention in the story that I didn’t notice the biggest twist of the story at the near-end of the book. I didn’t see it coming, but there’s still in me that think that it could have been unnoticeable still. It was as if the turning point of the event—turning point of the character’s interest. Only one thing negative that must be said, I wasn’t contented at how this book ended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mortal Engines.

03/10/2011 page 34
9.0% "moving running islands?"

Kwesi 章英狮 Interesting, where did you bought the book?

Rollie As usual, Booksale for only Php 45. Hahaha

Rollie Thanks nga pala for the like. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Wow, gusto ko rin niyan. Madami kasi akong kaagaw dito. Lol.

Rollie Kaagaw ng ano?

Kwesi 章英狮 Books. Haha.

Rollie Eh at least marami naman diyang interesting titles. Nagulat nga ako nung nakita ko to. :DDDD

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha, magkano bili mo?

Rollie Php45 nga.Haha
Gusto mo?

message 10: by Kwesi 章英狮 (new)

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha, oo pero hanapan mo na lang ako wag mo na akong bigyan ng mga copy mo naawa na ako sa iyo. Joke o baka may kapalit ang lahat ng yun ha. Haha. Hinahanapan rin kita ng book para sa Q2.

Rollie Awa mo mukha mo. :DD OO may kapalit, lahat ng books mo. Joke. lol
I gave you the my Peeps because I thought you're a geeky and want an informative book. :DD Segi, try ko maghanap dito. :DDD

message 12: by Kwesi 章英狮 (new)

Kwesi 章英狮 Geeky? Joking? Never mind, anyway thanks again and don't forget to spare a copy for yourself. Don't mind me.

Rollie My copies are worth nothing since I'm going leave them all once I go to Manila.

message 14: by Tintin (new)

Tintin Sounds like steampunk and worth a read if I see it on Booksale for 45! Haha :D

message 15: by Kwesi 章英狮 (new)

Kwesi 章英狮 O_O

message 16: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely Nice review, Rollie!

Rollie Thanks KD. :)