Rachael Sherwood's Reviews > Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything

Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt

Feb 22, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in February, 2011

Maybe I had this book overhyped, but while it was fun, I didn't walk away with a lot. I like his way of explaining the 'less important' things through economics and I now have a few 'cocktail party facts' to share with people.

Part of my frustration is that while Levitt & co come to conclusions about data, but they never get into what it MEANS. And yes, maybe that's outside of the scope of this book, but it does leave it a little lackluster in my opinion.

The book was an easy fast read and the additional information at the end was not neccesary. I really didn't need to read the co-author's article praising Leavitt. (I found the 'cult of personality' surrounding him in the book REALLY annoying. He's a rogue! He's a maverick! He thinks differently! He's an economist who can't do math! Yeah, okay, whatever. Save it for the biography) I really didn't need them to copy & paste some blog posts they'd made into the book. If I wanted to read things in a blog style...I'd read their blog.

Anyway, it IS worth reading, thinking about, debating, etc...but it didn't blow my mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freakonomics.