Valerie's Reviews > Tuesdays at the Castle

Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George

Jun 01, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from February 10 to March 02, 2012

I couldn't wait to read this book. It sounded so fun and magical; plus I'm a fan of Jessica Day George. Though most of her young adult books can border middle grade this was the first one with an actual girl of middle grade age. Though my 9-12 years are kind of blur to me I think the heroine Celie sounded just right.

Princess Celie is a spirited young girl who lives in this castle. A castle that changes halls, rooms, and closets seemingly on a whim and the one who knows the most about this castle is Celie. With the disappearance of her parents (the king and queen of Glower) Celie and her older siblings are in trouble. They will have to keep their wits about them and may need the castle's help more than ever.

I think younger readers would like this story. I'd love to live in a castle like that as a kid, with secret passages and a slide. Yes I said a slide, in a castle. It's the best castle I've come across in a book (at a close second is Princess Ben's). As castles go anyways, they can be quite dreary. So there is a fun castle but that is not all. Celie’s brother is in danger. We get to see Celie and her siblings put the grown-ups in their place. I personally liked the interaction between the siblings too. Oh, and the secondary characters made me laugh.

There is one thing I want to say, and that is I appreciate that this book has an ending. Let me clarify that. Pretty much every single series I've read lately has cliff hangers and though sometimes I'm good with it, it's getting on my nerves a bit. Tuesdays at the Castle is part of a series but you know what, no cliffhanger and I still want to read the next one—imagine that, it can be done.

It has humor, fun, treachery, and magic so please don't pass it up if you are looking for middle grade or children fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuesdays at the Castle.

02/28/2012 page 81
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cara (new) - added it

Cara It does seem like it's hard to find books in series that don't end in cliffhangers, or actually any fanstasy books that are not part of a series. I'm going to have to read this one soon or one day at least;)

Valerie Soon I hope.