Rach's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Mar 18, 11

bookshelves: challenge-11-spring, ebook, book-becomes-movie, epically-long, 2011
Read from March 06 to 16, 2011, read count: 1

I have been fully convinced for years that I read Jane Eyre at some point in my teenage years. I was fairly familiar with the plot, and had a slight Austen obsession, so it seemed like a natural fit. It occurred to me not very far into this reading of it, though, that it's possible I was completely wrong. Though the characters seemed familiar, the text felt new and fresh, like something I was discovering for the first time, not like something I was re-reading and remembering. So I will leave it at this: I might have read this one in my youth, but I never truly read or understood it until now.

This book was such a pleasure to read: the writing is descriptive and emotive, the characters real and honest. Jane is such a strong, smart woman, someone to be truly admired for her fortitude throughout her childhood, as well as her strength in her moral convictions, of doing what she knew to be right despite what it might cost her. She is ever honest with her opinion, and doesn't hold back what she thinks. Mr. Rochester truly brings out the best in her, because he encourages and goads her into speaking her mind. St. John never would have been a proper companion for her because he made her feel as though she had to be someone else.

True, Mr. Rochester is a pain sometimes. I realize, he's guilty and miserable a lot of the time, especially at the beginning, and alternates between believing and not believing he deserves happiness. He is most frustrating, of course, when he brings Blanche and the rest of her group into his home, and flirts with her in front of Jane. But in the end, though, he truly loves Jane, and that is why we love him.

If you haven't read this book, do it! And then, go and read The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde to get another look at the story. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

03/07/2011 page 61
03/16/2011 page 502
92.0% 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) Haha! We're reading the same book at the same time again. :-P

Rach I'm surprised it doesn't happen more frequently! :)

message 3: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) Which task are you using it for?

Haha, I kinda am too!

Rach The TV mini-series one. But it would fit lots of places, I bet!

message 5: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) Ohhhhhhh! Good one. I actually didn't have one planned for that...I might just do the same. I was going to use it for the re-read task. Which I might still do, since I don't re-read many books.