Julie's Reviews > The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi

Feb 21, 11

Read in December, 2010

When 13-year-old Charlotte Doyle embarks on a voyage across the Atlantic, little does she know that she is about to have the adventure of her life. The ship on which she sails is led by a ruthless captain and a disgruntled crew who would like nothing better than to mutiny. As unrest and danger begin to grow onboard, Charlotte must let go of her prim and proper upbringing and take sides before she herself becomes a victim of the sea.

This book is one of my top 5 favorite MG books of all time. The writing is brilliant, the first-person plot well-paced and exciting, and the character development so well-done that you barely notice it's happening. I love the juxtaposition of the ladylike girl on a ship full of rough, unmannered sailors, and the author did a great job enforcing the fact that the ship is a whole different world, where convention is thrown to the wind in favor of raw human nature. The research is also great - I learned so much about the workings of a ship.

This story's got a permanent place on my bookshelf. 5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle.