Claudia's Reviews > Genghis: Lords of the Bow

Genghis by Conn Iggulden

Feb 24, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, ya-books, 2011-book-challenge-150-books
Read from February 21 to 24, 2011

The book begins with a battle and ends with one looming. In between, we learn how incredibly brave and hard and...unforgiving the Mongols are. Genghis managed to unite traditional enemies, but you have the feeling that the alliance could fall apart at any time.

Iggulden's descriptions of the battles is gory and detailed. His characters all have their own internal monologue, so whether or not you like them, you're often trapped in their minds...the shaman, the spy...

Genghis makes the mistake of underestimating his relatives...his brother who has a different sense of success and truly thirsts for knowledge, and his son who's never felt accepted. I can't help but think this will bring about his downfall.

For all the sweep and pageantry, I'm not feeling a compulsion to read the first, or any of the others in this series. One and out, I think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Genghis.

02/21/2011 page 139
35.0% "JUST realized this is book #2 in the series...grrr. These Mongols didn't mess around."
02/22/2011 page 240
60.0% "I can see the intrigue and infighting: Genghis's brothers, his sons, and his wives...I wish the maps were accurate...I'm lost in China someplace..."