Viohlet's Reviews > Once a Witch

Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough

** spoiler alert ** This could have been a lot better than it was, the potential was there in the basic plot, but the writing really let it down.

It was very disjointed, and scenes and times and places jumped around with no discernable change, so I was forever re-reading because I thought I'd missed something. There was also a lot of description left out; minor but important things (such as the holding of items, etc) which left you having to fill in the blanks and sometimes being left with a giant question mark circling your poor head. The descriptions of the room was also severly lacking, as I wasn't able to picture them at all which made it all the more difficult to work out where things were in relation to other things.

My biggest issue with this book, was when the Big Reveal came, Tamsin was waaaaay too passive. She should have been much angrier and upset, which would have made it more realistic considering her entire family lied to her her entire life, and deliberately set out to ostracize her in their magical family.

I also detested how much Tamsin's parents blamed her for the entire situation, when in all actuality, it's their fault. If she hadn't been kept ignorant of her own Talents, and their Very Important Family History, she would have been better equipped to deal with the suspicious Alastair and his weird requests, and the whole situation could have been avoided.

There should also be a significant amount of blame placed on the abhorrent older sister Rowena, who while being engaged to another man, was acting like a Whore, with a capital CHEAP.

I liked Gabriel and his acceptance of Tamsin (who, considering this was a YA novel was remarkably mature) but I do have to admit their romance was a little quick, considering they hadn't seen each other in so long, and the last time they had, they'd been children.

All in all, it was a good book, with a 3/5 rating, and I will read the sequel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once a Witch.