jallioop's Reviews > Always the Baker, Never the Bride

Always the Baker, Never the Bride by Sandra D. Bricker

Feb 21, 11

I am starting to draw the conclusion that with kindle books, you get what you pay for. If I had paid for this, I would've been upset. First, the editing needs work. The business of putting quotes from two different people in the same paragraph was annoying. The random italics (the "southernisms" from Jackson's sisters, Eliza and Prof Higgins when talking about My Fair Lady) - why? And why pray tell do only Jackson's sisters have a southern accent in print? Some of the word choices were odd as well, odd enough to jar the reader out of the story. Second, making the heroine diabetic - why? what's the point, other than to be able to tell the reader about how to take care of diabetes? Again, interrupted the flow of the story. Oh and by the way, this is Christian fiction - I'm new to my kindle, and seems like an awful lot of the free ebooks are Christian. Not my thing, don't like to read them. This one wasn't overpowering until well into the book, but when it came time to resolve the plot, God just marched right in and prayer solved all of the problems, boom, boom, boom. The little interludes between the chapters - recipes, wedding tips, and do I remember correctly, stuff on diabetes (??)- ewww, I totally started skipping them. Don't know why I finished this, probably because all of this didn't become annoying until 2/3 of the way in - by that time I realized I didn't have far to go and just plowed through. And the ending, ewww again - tying it all up with Emma wondering if she would always be the baker, or whether she would finally be a bride. Come on, we get it, you don't need to be that explicit. The tradition in romances (at least as far as I can tell) is that the title isn't ever explicitly referenced, and much of the time the title has little to nothing to do with the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Always the Baker, Never the Bride.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephanie Just be careful basing the price on whether its a good book or not. There have bee

Stephanie Some reissues by good authors who have taken back their copyright rights from their original publisher.