Tim's Reviews > The Grammar Devotional: Daily Tips for Successful Writing from Grammar Girl

The Grammar Devotional by Mignon Fogarty

Jan 02, 2012

bookshelves: english-grammar
Read from February 21, 2011 to January 02, 2012

While on the whole I prefer her Quick and Dirty Tips book (which works much better as a reference than this book), I find that the approach this book takes works well to teach you bits of grammar. The problem is that the bits come in no real order which could be frustrating.

I find this book works best if you approach it in the way it was intended, one tip at a time, once per day. Trying to read this book straight through will likely make one annoyed since the tips have no real structure. For a more traditional book structure (covering much the same material) see her other book.

If you're willing to read it at least somewhat like she intended (i.e., only a few tips a day) you'll likely learn something you didn't know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grammar Devotional.

08/20/2011 "Reading the Kindle edition which doesn't have proper page numbers. Currently, just finished Week 32 Saturday."
09/01/2011 "Up to Friday Week 34."
62.0% "Progress is necessarily slow going since the devotional style means I'm only reading approximately a page a day. I'm still learning quite a bit even if it's unstructured and a bit random."
74.0% "Currently nearly done Week 45. I should be done before the end of the year. I've learned a lot from this book."
show 5 hidden updates…