Littlevision's Reviews > Hello, Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks, and Other Outlaws

Hello, Cruel World by Kate Bornstein

May 13, 11

Recommended to Littlevision by: adults, teens, outlaws of any kind
Read from April 30 to May 13, 2011

It takes a lot for me to give a book five stars, but this book is one I can't give any less to. Why?

I think it has the potential to change lives. Kate Bornstein is plain cool and her 101 alternatives to killing yourself are totally awesome. I feel inspired by her book, something that I haven't felt in a long time. And her book has given me just what I need to keep on living -- at least for now. And if I reach that point again, I'll read this book again. And I'll keep reading it and recommending it.

P.S. I loved the multiple references to The Teenage Liberation Handbook. I really dig Grace Llewelyn.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hello, Cruel World.

Quotes Littlevision Liked

Kate Bornstein
“I have this idea that every time we discover that the names we're being called are somehow keeping us less than free, we need to come up with new names for ourselves, and that the names we give ourselves must no longer reflect a fear of being labeled outsiders, must no longer bind us to a system that would rather see us dead.”
Kate Bornstein, Hello, Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks, and Other Outlaws

05/02/2011 page 33
05/12/2011 page 74
39.0% "I'm kinda sorta in love with Kate Bornstein."
05/12/2011 page 107
56.0% "Tomorrow I'll start the descriptions of the 101 alternatives."
show 4 hidden updates…