♥Xeni♥'s Reviews > Kushiel's Dart

Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey

Feb 21, 2011

bookshelves: ebook, fantasy, romance, bdsm, war, epic, at-sea, slave, survival, fiction, should-be-movie, medieval, suspense, otherworld, adventure, poetry, royalty, rebellion, politics, magic, love, travel, author-jacqueline-carey
Recommended to ♥Xeni♥ by: qylie
Read from August 08 to 15, 2012 , read count: 2

Just finished reading this book for a second time. While it was still a great tale, it didn't feel quite as amazing as the first time around. Perhaps because I knew the story already? Anyway, back to school books I go, then.

--Older Review: 2011 Feb 21 - 2011 Feb 24--
Okay, so, when someone reads a book that is over 1000 pages in under 3 days, that must mean something good, right?

I certainly thought so! I literally raced through this book! (And that while studying for my midterms!)

I was captured from the very start, although, now after a bit of reflection I can see why some other reviewers had some issues with the writing. Yeah, the beginning is slow, but only if you compare it with the rest of the book! I loved learning all about the culture, society, politics, etc. It gave me goosebumps and made me cringe and wonder how freaky of a society this really is, but all in all, it gripped me emotionally.

I have to say, the books really is divided strongly into parts. I can almost say that I love Phedre's life before all her big adventures start a lot more than the latter. And that because she is such an interesting and fascinating character that makes me question my own self.

I don't want to go into too great details in this review. Just say that I loved the book. The characters were incredible. The plot was moving and fast and wonderful. I loved how the author mixed bits of our own geography into her world. And the writing style didn't even bother me (and I tend to LOATHE foreshadowing).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kushiel's Dart.

Quotes ♥Xeni♥ Liked

Jacqueline Carey
“That which yields is not always weak.”

Jacqueline Carey
“There is no fulfillment that is not made sweeter for the prolonging of desire”

Jacqueline Carey
“Only insofar as you enjoy being sorry, my dear, which, while it is a considerable amount, occurs only after the fact, thus making it a singularly ineffective deterrent, yes?”

Jacqueline Carey
“All knowledge is worth having.”

02/21/2011
7.0% "Wow... I have read so much and yet only 7% through.I didn't realize how long this book was before I started... ah well, so much more to enjoy. And this story is shaping up to be powerful and amazing. I don't want to sleep, I want to read. I love the craziness of the world... it is so wrong and yet it's incredible. I am enjoying Phedre as well, but I can't wait to see her grow as a character. The writing is great too"
02/22/2011
32.0% "In the light of day, there is something very very disturbing about this book. Not so much the story but rather the world set up. And yet, I can't stop reading. I love this book so much even though it's full of political intrigues which I could care less about and the characters are only okay. Something in it captivates me!"
02/22/2011
39.0% "No! They can't be dead! And betrayed! Oh no. No. No. No. I don't want to believe it! I can't read anymore... Whatever happens to Phedre now will just be horrible."
02/23/2011
61.0% "And I have grown to love the plot. I want to just devour this book. Faster and faster. Give me more!"
02/23/2011
63.0% "What is he doing in Kusheth?!? Honestly, there better be q damned good reason for it, else I will quite fed up with the perfect coincidences."
02/23/2011
81.0% "Wow... So many different levels and elements woven together into one plot. I understand now why some people say that the beginigos slow; only in comparison with the rest of this novel can you lay that claim. This is incredible literature."
02/23/2011
89.0% "And who is ready for the climax? Not I. I wish to savor the end, although I raced trough most of this novel. Here's to a HEA ending!"
02/24/2011
94.0% "Wow... that was an epic battle worthy of Tolkien. Really."
02/24/2011
96.0% "Oh my gosh... oh my gosh! Melisande... and Phedre... and *jaw drop* This is a real ending to a story... (although, having read the summary for book 2, I know that Melisande manages to escape, the whore!)"
02/24/2011
100.0% "Wow... what an ending. I love how it's open to the next book, but not cliff-hanger esque. I hope that the next book will be written without as much foreshadowing, too!"